Advanced Engineering Mathematics

In summary, this conversation is about a book that covers various topics in applied mathematics and is quite extensive at 1156 pages plus appendices. The pros of the book are that it covers a wide range of topics, while the cons are that it may be expensive for a new copy. Some participants in the conversation have found it to be a valuable reference, while others prefer full-length texts. There is also a discussion about different versions of the book and one person has found the Wiley version to be superior.
Pauly Man
Introduction-

This book covers almost every topic that an undergraduate applied mathematics student could expect to encounter in their studies. It is a HUGE book, at 1156 pages plus appendicies.

Contents-

1. Ordinary Differential Equations
  2. Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus
  3. Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations
  4. Complex Analysis
  5. Numerical Methods
  6. Optimization, Graphs
  7. Probability and Statistics
    [/list=1]

Pros and Cons-

The positives for this book, are as I've said, it covers almost everything. The negatives are that it is maybe a bit expensive for a new copy, (not to bad for a second hand copy). I have no idea how much it is in countries other than Australia, but I know it is a bit pricey here.

Conclusion-

I think this book is great, and it is already serving me well, and I've only had it for a month. I guess it is up to you to way up the pro's and cons.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found this book to be an invaluable reference...I haven't used it too much but I have found a reasonable explanation for just about everything I ever wanted to know about mathematics in it. I still prefer full length texts to this kind of reference style book, however I just like to know all of the mathematical details :approve:

I agree with the above. I used it for one of my classes and it has turned out to be a good reference, but lacks depth on any particular area so it isn't really useful for anything serious.

Is this the book by Ken Stroud?

Yeah is it the Wliey one or the Advanced Engineering Mathematics
by K. A. Stroud, Dexter J. Booth ??

I found both of these in a library, and i's have to say that the Wiely one is far supperior to that of Strouds. Good luke finding them, i happen to be 3 block away from one of the best libraries in the country... The Carnegie Library

1. What is advanced engineering mathematics?

Advanced engineering mathematics is a branch of mathematics that applies advanced mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world engineering problems. It combines elements of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics to model and analyze complex systems in engineering fields such as mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering.

2. Why is advanced engineering mathematics important?

Advanced engineering mathematics is important because it provides engineers with the necessary tools to solve complex and challenging problems in their field. It allows them to model and analyze systems to make accurate predictions and design efficient and effective solutions. It also helps in the development of new technologies and advancements in various engineering industries.

3. What are some common topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics?

Common topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics include vector calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, Fourier analysis, linear algebra, and numerical methods. Other topics may include optimization, probability and statistics, and partial differential equations.

4. How is advanced engineering mathematics different from basic mathematics?

Advanced engineering mathematics builds upon the concepts learned in basic mathematics, such as calculus and algebra. However, it delves deeper into these topics and introduces new concepts and techniques specifically designed for engineering applications. It also focuses on solving complex problems and using mathematical models to analyze real-world systems, rather than just solving equations and equations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of advanced engineering mathematics?

To improve your understanding of advanced engineering mathematics, it is essential to have a strong foundation in basic mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice exercises. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor can also aid in understanding the material.