Electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres

In summary: Where C is the capacitance and V is the potential difference. Since we can treat the spheres as parallel slabs, we can use the formula for capacitance of parallel plates:C = (epsilon_0 A)/dWhere epsilon_0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them. In this case, A can be calculated using the formula for the surface area of a sphere:A = 4 pi r^2Plugging in the given values, we get:C = (8.85x10^-12 * 4 pi (10x10^-2)^2)/(0.5x10^-2) = 7.08
wombat7373
Two concentric metal spheres have radii [tex]r_1[/tex] = 10 cm and [tex]r_2[/tex] = 10.5 cm. The inner sphere has a charge of Q = 5 nC spread uniformly on its surface, and the outer sphere has charge -Q on its surface. (a) calculate the total energy stored in the electric field inside the spheres Hint: You can treat the spheres essentially as parallel flat slabs separated by 0.5 cm why?

[tex]\phi = 4\pi kQ[/tex]
U=qV/2

First of all, I don't know why treating the spheres as slabs will help, but since that's the hint, I'm looking for a way to do it. I can show with Gauss' Law that teh electric field inside the inner sphere is 0, so that kind of makes them like slabs. Is that enough justification and why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Think capacitors. How do you find the energy stored in a capacitor?

Two charged slabs separated by some distance d, is essentially a capacitor.
This is why treating the spheres as flat surfaces will help. The curvature will not really affect the situation, it is essentially a capacitor, whether spherical or flat.

G01 said:
HINT: Think capacitors. How do you find the energy stored in a capacitor?

Two charged slabs separated by some distance d, is essentially a capacitor.
This is why treating the spheres as flat surfaces will help. The curvature will not really affect the situation, it is essentially a capacitor, whether spherical or flat.

I suppose I'll buy it just because the electric field ends up being constant like with two plates. So to find the energy I just do U=(1/2)QV. I suppose I could calculate the potential difference by integrating the electric field over that 0.5 cm distance. Would that be the way to do it?

I think its safe to assume that the field is constant within the capacitor. You shouldn't have to integrate, unless you want the practice of course:smile:

I would go about this using the formula for energy stored in an electric field, which is:

[tex] U = 1/2 C V^2[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres?

Electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres is the energy that is stored in a system of two spheres with opposite charges, where the spheres are placed one inside the other, with their centers at the same point, known as the center of symmetry.

2. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres?

The formula for calculating electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres is U = (kQ1Q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the spheres, and r is the distance between their centers.

3. How does the distance between the spheres affect the electrostatic potential energy?

The electrostatic potential energy increases as the distance between the spheres decreases. This is because the force of attraction between the opposite charges on the spheres increases as they get closer, resulting in a higher potential energy.

4. Can the electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres be negative?

Yes, the electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres can be negative if the charges on the spheres are of the same sign. This is because in this case, the force between the spheres is repulsive, and the potential energy is negative.

5. How is the electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres related to work?

The electrostatic potential energy for concentric spheres is equal to the work done in bringing the charges from infinity to their respective positions on the spheres. This means that the potential energy can be thought of as the energy required to assemble the system of charged spheres.