Communicating Equations via E-Mail

• Thread starter RJ Emery
  • Start date
In summary: There are other LaTeχ WYSIWYG implementations for Windows and/or Linux, though I am not aware of any that are available for Linux currently.
RJ Emery
In communicating with others via e-mail, it is quite difficult to render equations in ASCII text, particularly something like a complicated PDE. When the need arises to exchange involved equations with others, and to discuss those equations, what is a good way to accomplish that?

Computer science news on Phys.org
RJ Emery said:
In communicating with others via e-mail, it is quite difficult to render equations in ASCII text, particularly something like a complicated PDE. When the need arises to exchange involved equations with others, and to discuss those equations, what is a good way to accomplish that?

This is quite an annoying problem. What I normally do is either attach a pdf with the equations on or, if it's a simple equation, just write in tex.

cristo said:
This is quite an annoying problem. What I normally do is either attach a pdf with the equations on or, if it's a simple equation, just write in tex.
Yes, that is more or less the way I do it, too. However, it involves publishing, and that form makes it difficult for respondents to re-edit the work.

The way I send and reply to such e-mails is to draft my response by hand, then scan the handwritten pages and attach them as a PDF. I still seek a more elegant way.

You could use Latex to compile the equation into an image and then insert it into the email.

-Job- said:
You could use Latex to compile the equation into an image and then insert it into the email.
I am aware of Teχ and LaTeχ but not have kept up with all the available implementations. While a web-based LaTeχ tool is intriguing, I still would rather have a WYSIWYG system resident on my own computer. The only WYSIWYG implementation I know of is Scientific Word from MacKichan Software, but that will not be on Linux until next year.

Are there other LaTeχ WYSIWYG implementations for Windows and/or Linux?

You can also use a program like eqascii or https://sourceforge.net/projects/asciitex/" to render your equation in plain ASCII. Both programs are command line and use a LaTeX-like syntax. This way you can simply copy and paste plain ASCII formatted equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update.

1. How do I properly format equations in an email?

The best way to format equations in an email is to use an equation editor or a math typesetting software like LaTeX. This will ensure that the equations are properly displayed and easily readable for the recipient.

2. Can I send equations in the body of an email or do I need to attach them as a separate file?

You can send equations in the body of an email as long as you use a math typesetting software to format them. However, if the equations are complex, it may be better to attach them as a separate file for easier viewing and editing.

3. How do I ensure that the equations I send are accurate and error-free?

Double-check your equations for accuracy and make sure to proofread them for any errors before sending them via email. You can also use an equation editor or a math typesetting software to ensure proper formatting and minimize the chances of errors.

4. Can I use special characters and symbols in my equations when sending them via email?

Yes, you can use special characters and symbols in your equations when sending them via email. Make sure to use a math typesetting software or LaTeX to properly format and display these characters for the recipient.

5. What should I do if the recipient is unable to view the equations in the email?

If the recipient is unable to view the equations in the email, you can try attaching them as a separate file or providing a link to a cloud storage location where they can access the equations. Make sure to also check if the recipient's email client supports viewing equations.