Dielectric material becomes conductive at High Frequency?

In summary, it is possible to apply a low frequency signal to a dielectric material and not to be conductive, but when increasing the frequency to become conductive.
logic5
Dear colleagues,

I have a question related with dielectrics and their conductivity when High Frequency signals are applied.

Is it possible to become conductive a dielectric material if sufficiently High Frequency signals are applied?

When a high frequency signal is applied to a dielectric, at certain frequencies material's dielectric constant falls (this behaviour can be observed in a dielectric spectroscopy). This behaviour is due to the ionic and dipole relaxation and atomic and electronic polarization.

I have heard, at these points, when the dielectric constant falls (or dielectric losses increases) the dielectric material becomes slightly conductive.

Is this true? Could you correct me if not or give me more information about it?

Thank u in adavance,

logic

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forum.

It depends what you mean by conductive. DC conductance requires certain energy bands being available to electrons in the material. But as you know you can 'conduct' AC through a capacitor which is not DC conducting.

If the dielectric material experienced some significant change in its electronic configuration, I suppose it would be possible for it to become a DC conductor.

I mean if it becomes conductive at AC.
Simplifying, the question would be... is is possible to apply a low frequency signal to a dielectric material and not to be conductive, but when increasing the frequency to become conductive?

I'm not qualified to go further with this - maybe someone else knows ?

Yes! I saw it by myself on the material (kind of formica) over the benches in an electronic lab. The working frequency was about 470 MHz. When "hot" parts of the circuit touched the formica, you could see the change in frequency response.
P.S. The circuit was a single transistor amplifier and the "hot" part was the transistor case. I was the teacher.

Thank you for your feedbacks!

What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is a substance that does not conduct electrical current. It is commonly used in electronics as an insulator to prevent the flow of electricity.

What causes a dielectric material to become conductive at high frequency?

At high frequencies, the alternating electric field causes the molecules in the dielectric material to vibrate and generate heat. This heat can break down the material's structure, allowing it to conduct electricity.

What are some examples of dielectric materials that become conductive at high frequency?

Some common dielectric materials that become conductive at high frequency include ceramic, glass, and certain types of plastic. These materials are often used in capacitors and other electronic components.

What are the potential risks of using a dielectric material that becomes conductive at high frequency?

The main risk is that the material may break down and cause a short circuit, leading to damage to the electronic device or potentially causing a fire. It can also interfere with the device's performance and accuracy.

How can the risk of dielectric breakdown at high frequency be minimized?

The risk can be minimized by using a dielectric material with a higher breakdown voltage, keeping the operating frequency within the material's safe range, and using proper insulation and shielding techniques to prevent excessive heat buildup.