Kinetic energy in a finite square well potential

In summary, the question is whether the average kinetic energy of a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential at t=0 would be the same or different if the particle was in the same state but in a finite square well potential. It is possible to adjust the size of the potential slowly to achieve the same kinetic energy.
Moneer81
Hello,

I have a quick question: While working on a problem involving a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential, I had to compute the average kinetic energy at t=0. My question is: would that average kinetic energy be the same or different if the particle was in the same state, but in a finite square well potential?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

This seems an undefinite question. The kinetic energy of the particle in some potential depends on the size of the potential, i.e. the size of the potential is a parameter that one can change and hence one change the kinetic energy. Therefore, one can adjust the size of the potentail slowly( or adiabatically) to reach that kinetic energy is the same. It's my opinion only.
Goodluck.

1. What is kinetic energy in a finite square well potential?

Kinetic energy in a finite square well potential refers to the energy possessed by a particle (such as an electron) when it is confined to a finite space, represented by a square well potential. This energy is a result of the particle's motion within the well.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated in a finite square well potential?

The kinetic energy in a finite square well potential can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the well as well as the mass and wave function of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between the depth of the potential well and the kinetic energy?

The depth of the potential well directly affects the kinetic energy of a particle within it. A deeper potential well will result in a higher kinetic energy for the particle, as it has more potential energy to convert into kinetic energy.

4. Can the kinetic energy in a finite square well potential ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the kinetic energy in a finite square well potential to be zero. This occurs when the particle is in a bound state, meaning it is confined within the potential well and has no potential energy to convert into kinetic energy.

5. How does the width of the potential well affect the kinetic energy?

The width of the potential well also has an impact on the kinetic energy of a particle within it. A wider potential well will result in a lower kinetic energy for the particle, as it has less potential energy to convert into kinetic energy due to the larger space available for motion.