Solve Kinematics Problem: Dropping 15.0 m, Stretching Net 1.0 m

• Thread starter H^w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, to find the average deceleration of a person who jumps from a window into a fire safety net, one must first find their velocity just before hitting the net by using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as. Then, using another kinematic equation involving the initial and final velocity and the distance, find the time taken for the person to come to rest. Finally, the average deceleration can be calculated using the formula a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}.
H^w

Homework Statement

A person jumps from a window into a fire safety net. The person drops 15.0 meters, stretching the net 1.0 meter. What is the average deceleration before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

All of the constant acceleration equations should apply here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it would be sad to call this an attempt. But here goes.

I collected everything I knew about the motion.

The person is in free fall, therefore I know that Vminimum is at t=0

V 1=0 m/s a=9.8 m/s and the total displacement I believe should be 16.0 meters because the net stretched 1.0 meter whether or not that's relevant I'm not sure.

So where to go from here is my real problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the person starts from rest. You will have to find the speed the person is traveling just before they hit the net. Then you will need to find the time taken to travel one meter when they hit the net. Then you can work out the average acceleration.

[tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} [/tex]

What I am not understanding is I only have a, and initial velocity (V=0).

So how do I solve for t and V final?

Assume the jumper has an initial velocity of 0m/s. One can use the following kinematic equation to find their velocity 15 meters below the jumping point.

[tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex]

Now you know that at the 15 meter point the person hits the net and comes to a velocity of 0 m/s in 1 meter. You can employ another kinematic equation involving the initial and final velocity and the distance to find the time taken. Then you will have enough information to work out the average acceleration.

What is the initial velocity of the object?

The initial velocity of the object is 0 m/s, as it is being dropped from rest.

What is the final velocity of the object?

The final velocity of the object can be calculated using the equation v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity (0 m/s), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the net. Given that the object is dropping 15.0 m, we can use the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at^2 to solve for t. This results in a time of approximately 1.55 seconds. Plugging this value into the first equation, we get v = 0 + (-9.8)(1.55) = -15.19 m/s. Therefore, the final velocity of the object is -15.19 m/s, meaning it will be moving downwards when it reaches the net.

How much time does it take for the object to reach the net?

As mentioned in the previous answer, the time it takes for the object to reach the net can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at^2. Given that the object is dropping 15.0 m and the initial velocity is 0 m/s, we can rearrange the equation to solve for t. This results in t = sqrt(2d/a) = sqrt(2*15.0/9.8) = 1.55 seconds.

What is the acceleration of the object?

The acceleration of the object is -9.8 m/s^2, as it is experiencing the acceleration due to gravity while falling towards the net.

What is the distance between the initial position of the object and the net?

The distance between the initial position of the object and the net is 15.0 m, as the object is dropped from a height of 15.0 m.