Is the function z+1/z analytic?

• Thread starter desaila
  • Start date
In summary: But I know z satisfies C-R and I know 1/z satisfies C-R. The former is easy, and the latter just a little harder. And C-R are linear equations. So I then know the sum will satisfy them. If f and g are analytic then f+g is analytic and 1/g and f*g and f/g are analytic. Aren't you glad we didn't start with (3z-1)/(3-z)?
desaila

Homework Statement

z + 1/z
is it analytic?

Homework Equations

du/dx = dv/dy and du/dy = -dv/dx

where f = u+iv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I did this correctly, but I ran into an unexpected answer in a more complex problem using the same method and thought I'd ask about the easier question to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

So my attempted solution was this:

I expanded z to be x+iy, so z + 1/z = (x+iy) + (x+iy)^-1
I found du/dx = 1 + -(x+iy)^-2
dv/dy = i + -i(x+iy)^-2
du/dy = 0
-dv/dx = 0

So, according to my solution, the function is not analytic. What I think could be wrong is my answer to dv/dy. The derivative of iy in terms of y should just be i is what I think but for some reason I'm second guessing that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To do Cauchy-Riemann you have to express u and v as real functions. Take z+1/z with z=x+iy and try to express the real and imaginary parts in terms of x and y. No dangling i's are allowed. I would multiply 1/z by (x-iy)/(x-iy).

Hm, so what you're saying is that you basically just look at the real and imaginary parts..

So when I'm looking at u or v I should drop the i's out? I think I just re-phrased what you said..

How about a slightly more complicated example just to clarify things a bit? Using the same given information:
(3z-1)/(3-z).

I think expanding it into it's x's and y's would be rather silly. So would multiplying it by (3+z)/(3+z) be the best first step? Then expanding?

Thanks Dick.

You have to split it into x and y's if you want to use CR. I don't think a more complicated example will clarify things. Stick with the first one. z+1/z=(x+iy)+(x-iy)/((x+iy)*(x-iy)). See, I just followed my own advice. Now can you split that into a purely real function plus another purely real function times i? Those are your u and v. Hint: it IS analytic.

When you do that, you get (x+iy) + (x-iy)/(x^2 + y^2)

I'm not sure I understand how that helps me? I apologize if I seem slow here, but I'm just not quit seeing this.

S'ok. That's a good reason to stick with the simple example. That's a good start. Can you split that up into a purely real function plus a purely real function times i? The denominator of the second part is real, so just split the numerator up.

x + i(y) + x/(x^2 + y^2) - i(y/(x^2+y^2)) ?

If that's correct, then what you're saying is you need to isolate i in these equations in order to successfully do the C-R equations?

I think I just didn't quite understand the C-R equations, is the problem I was having.

Now you do. u=x+x/(x^2+y^2) and v=y-y/(x^2+y^2). Since then z+1/z=u(x,y)+v(x,y)*i. If you actually do the work of finding du/dx, du/dy, dv/dx and dv/dy (partial derivatives, all). You will find C-R works. Now you should be asking me how I know it works without doing all of the work that you just did.

Alright, how do you know C-R works without doing all the work?

EDIT: I also worked out the equations, and you were correct, the function is analytic. Not that I doubted you, but just saying I seemed to have come to an understanding. I really appreciate the help Dick.

Last edited:
You should do all of the work just to convince yourself it works. But I know z satisfies C-R and I know 1/z satisfies C-R. The former is easy, and the latter just a little harder. And C-R are linear equations. So I then know the sum will satisfy them. If f and g are analytic then f+g is analytic and 1/g and f*g and f/g are analytic. Aren't you glad we didn't start with (3z-1)/(3-z)? If you really HAVE to verify C-R, then you have to. Otherwise, there are different shortcuts to verifying a function is analytic.

desaila said:
Alright, how do you know C-R works without doing all the work?

EDIT: I also worked out the equations, and you were correct, the function is analytic. Not that I doubted you, but just saying I seemed to have come to an understanding. I really appreciate the help Dick.

Good job again. I think at least once, everybody has work through something in messy detail that seems hard to believe and then realize it's true. I did.

Dick said:
You should do all of the work just to convince yourself it works. But I know z satisfies C-R and I know 1/z satisfies C-R. The former is easy, and the latter just a little harder. And C-R are linear equations. So I then know the sum will satisfy them. If f and g are analytic then f+g is analytic and 1/g and f*g and f/g are analytic. Aren't you glad we didn't start with (3z-1)/(3-z)? If you really HAVE to verify C-R, then you have to. Otherwise, there are different shortcuts to verifying a function is analytic.

Haha, in terms of explaining something relatively simple in the terms of a more complex problem, yes I am happy. However, that is the problem I'm on now.

What's getting me hung up is trying to isolate the real and imaginary parts. the 3-z turns into a trinomial if you substitute in x+yi. I tried multiplying by -x+yi, and I still have an i term in the result. I also tried 3+z, and that doesn't work either. I think I'm just missing a more fundamental concept of conjugation than anything.

EDIT: Oops, I think I got it... hold on :D
EDIT2: Yes, after reading the wiki article on conjugation I realized that I needed to include the 3. So multiplying by 3-x+yi resulted in zero i's afterwards :D

Last edited:
Ha, great. If you have to use C-R, then you have to. Multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of 3+z=3+(x+iy) which is (and you knew this, right?) 3+(x-iy). All imaginaries will cancel in the denominator. Check this.

Dick said:
Ha, great. If you have to use C-R, then you have to. Multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of 3+z=3+(x+iy) which is (and you knew this, right?) 3+(x-iy). All imaginaries will cancel in the denominator. Check this.

Yes, that is what I found. I should have been less vague in my edits. This problem is heaps of fun so far. I think my professor is a sadist.

So,

Here is one that I think applies to your linearity short-cut you mentioned earlier. Because z+1/z is analytic, then 1/[(z+1/z)^2] must be as well. I'm going to attempt to work it out though.

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that must be satisfied by a complex-valued function in order to be considered analytic. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function to each other, and are used to determine if a function is holomorphic.

2. Why are the Cauchy-Riemann equations important?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are fundamental to the study of complex analysis. They allow us to determine if a function is holomorphic and therefore have special properties such as being differentiable at all points in its domain. These equations are also used in the development of many other important theorems in complex analysis.

3. How are the Cauchy-Riemann equations derived?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are derived from the definition of the complex derivative, which is based on the limit of a difference quotient. By expressing a complex-valued function in terms of its real and imaginary parts and taking the limit, the Cauchy-Riemann equations can be derived.

4. Can the Cauchy-Riemann equations be applied to real-valued functions?

No, the Cauchy-Riemann equations only apply to complex-valued functions. However, if a real-valued function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, it is considered a harmonic function and has special properties in the real plane.

5. How are the Cauchy-Riemann equations used in practice?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to test if a function is holomorphic, to find the real and imaginary parts of a function, and to solve problems in complex analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.