Limit Problems: Solving Basics - No Answers Given

• Thread starter thrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: No, step 2 should readlim X-> 00 [sin(1/x)/(1/x)]Then step three readslet v=1/x. Then as x->00, v->0, so = lim v->0 sin(v)/v=1This makes more sense, thank you for your helpIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of different functions as the variable approaches either infinity or zero. The first problem involves the substitution v=1/x to change the limit from going to infinity to going to zero, resulting in a limit that is undefined. The second problem also involves the substitution v=1/x, but this time it changes the limit from going to zero to going to infinity
thrive
1. lim sin(1/x) No clue what to do here
x>0

2. lim xsin(1/x) i believe the answer is infinity
x>00

3. lim (tan(5x)/sec(5x))*((cos(3x)/4x))
x>0

If anyone can give me any direction that would be helpful, I am not asking for answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to start you off with the first one, try doing the substitution v=1/x

undefined

The crux of the whole problem is that I don't know how to handle Sin(undefined)

edit: answer is DNE, I am stupid :< as sin function approaches 0, there is no value that it locks onto...it just keeps oscillating up and down like the sin function does, infinitely.

Last edited:
For the second one then, try writing it as sin(1/x)/(1/x), then do the substitution v=1/x.

Note that when you do a substitution like this, it's not completely rigorous as 1/x can go to +/- infinity as v goes to zero, and similar problems going in reverse, but it gives a very strong intuitive feel for what's going on, and with care can be made rigorous

Office_Shredder said:
For the second one then, try writing it as sin(1/x)/(1/x), then do the substitution v=1/x.

Note that when you do a substitution like this, it's not completely rigorous as 1/x can go to +/- infinity as v goes to zero, and similar problems going in reverse, but it gives a very strong intuitive feel for what's going on, and with care can be made rigorous

wow I am completely lost with that explanation. All i got was that sin(0)/0 would occur...aka indeterminate form

If all else fails, use numerical methods to find the limit.

thrive said:
The crux of the whole problem is that I don't know how to handle Sin(undefined)

edit: answer is DNE, I am stupid :< as sin function approaches 0, there is no value that it locks onto...it just keeps oscillating up and down like the sin function does, infinitely.

That is so right.

kuahji said:
If all else fails, use numerical methods to find the limit.

if all else fails go to physics forums

wow I am completely lost with that explanation. All i got was that sin(0)/0 would occur...aka indeterminate form

You should either know the limit of sin(x)/x as x goes to zero, or you should look it up, because it's quite useful

thrive said:
2. lim xsin(1/x) i believe the answer is infinity
x>00

In following OfficeShredder's suggestion, you got lim u->0 [sin(u)/u]. You are correct is that the Limit Laws would give an indeterminate form. However, there is a proof concerning this particular limit; have you had that in your book or course?

3. lim (tan(5x)/sec(5x))*((cos(3x)/4x))
x>0

You will need the result for lim u->0 [sin(u)/u] in order to do this one. To make your work somewhat easier, rewrite this in terms of just sine and cosine functions. You will have one place where you need the (sin u)/u limit , given that u can be a function of x, but you will have to make an adjustment by multiplication and division of constants.

dynamicsolo said:
In following OfficeShredder's suggestion, you got lim u->0 [sin(u)/u]. You are correct is that the Limit Laws would give an indeterminate form. However, there is a proof concerning this particular limit; have you had that in your book or course?

You will need the result for lim u->0 [sin(u)/u] in order to do this one. To make your work somewhat easier, rewrite this in terms of just sine and cosine functions. You will have one place where you need the (sin u)/u limit , given that u can be a function of x, but you will have to make an adjustment by multiplication and division of constants.

we already learned that lim x->0 [sin(x)/x] = 1

i just do not understand how the lim x->0 of [xsin(1/x)] relates to this

i just do not understand how the lim x->0 of [xsin(1/x)] relates to this

Hold on, above you had the limit as x went to infinity. Assuming that's what it was, then xsin(1/x)=sin(1/x)/(1/x)=sin(v)/v where v is going to zero.

If x is actually going to 0, then |xsin(1/x)|<=|x| for all x, so you can use the squeeze theorem to find the limit

Office_Shredder said:
...then xsin(1/x)=sin(1/x)/(1/x)=sin(v)/v where v is going to zero.

I understand this, however how can v just change from going to infinity to go to 0?

If x->infinity, v=1/x->0.

Dick said:
If x->infinity, v=1/x->0.

so as x approaches infinity, v=1 as x approaches 0? I still don't understand this reasoning...

No, no. v=(1/x) -> 0. If v is defined as 1/x, then as the variable x approaches infinity, the variable v approaches zero. By changing variables from x to v, you change an 'approaches infinity' type limit to an 'approaches zero' type limit.

ok, so when showing my work I just go from:

step 1: lim X-> 00 [xsin(1/x)]
step 2: lim X-> 0 [sin(1/x)/(1/x)]
step 3: = 1

so once we change the form from multiplying by x to dividing by 1/x we also change the limit going to infinity to go to 0?

Yes, that's it. It's a little confusing to have the two different x's. Makes it clearer to say the v=1/x substitution changes the limit to sin(v)/v with v->0.

No, step 2 should read
lim X-> 00 [sin(1/x)/(1/x)]
Then step three reads

let v=1/x. Then as x->00, v->0, so
= lim v->0 sin(v)/v
=1

1. What are limit problems and why are they important?

Limit problems are mathematical exercises that involve finding the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. They are important because they help us understand the properties of functions and their behavior near certain points.

2. How do you solve a basic limit problem?

To solve a basic limit problem, you need to evaluate the function at the given value and see what number it approaches as the input gets closer and closer to that value. This is known as taking the limit of the function.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve limit problems?

Some common techniques for solving limit problems include algebraic manipulation, factoring, using trigonometric identities, and applying special limit rules such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hôpital's rule.

4. Are there any limitations to solving limit problems?

Yes, there are some limit problems that cannot be solved using algebraic techniques. For example, some functions may have limits that approach infinity or oscillate infinitely, making it difficult to find a precise solution.

5. How can understanding limit problems be useful in real-life applications?

Limit problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and understand real-life situations. For example, they can be used to analyze the behavior of a system as it approaches a critical point or to predict the rate of change of a process.