Solved: Calculating Mass & Normal Force of Car on Slope

• Thread starter Rusk1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a car moving down a 10degree slope and applying the brakes, resulting in a net force of -2.0 x 10^4 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .797. By using a free body diagram and breaking the forces into components, we can find the mass of the car, which is necessary to calculate the normal force and gravitational force.
Rusk1
[SOLVED] Friction problem

Homework Statement

Car is moving down a 10degree slope and applies the breaks. The net force acting on the car as it stops is -2.0 x 10^4 N. coefficient of kinetic friction is .797. What is the mass? what is the magnitude of the normal force?

Homework Equations

Fnet=M*Anet=Fapplied - Fk
Fk= muk*m*a = muk*Fn
M= (Fapplied/Anet + mukG)
i think that would be it

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing this many ways but always seem to get it wrong. I quess I don't understand what the net force actually is. It is not equal to Fk. This is probably a lot simpler and I'm putting too much thought into it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only forces acting on the car are the force of kinetic friction between the wheels and the ground, the normal force and gravitational force.

These forces make up the net force, I'm unsure what you mean by Fapplied? You should break these forces into components acting parallel and perpenticular to the slope. The forces acting perpendicular will sum to zero (no acceleration in that direction), and the sum of the parallel forces will add to the net force.

I suggest drawing a free body diagram, and writing down these two equations to start.

ok so what I'm trying to ask is how do i find the mass? i would need the mass to find the normal force and the gravitational force. i have drawn a FBD and everything i try i always come up with the wrong answer. I'm just out of ideas.

From FBD find the component of the weight of the car along the inclined plane and normal to the inclined plane. Frictional force acts along the inclind plane but in the opposite direction to the motion of the car. Net force applied by the break to stop the car is equal to the difference of the forces acting along the inclined plane. Write the equations. You will get the mass.

i finally figured it out thanks.

1. How do you calculate the mass of a car on a slope?

To calculate the mass of a car on a slope, you will need to know the weight of the car, the angle of the slope, and the force of gravity. The formula for calculating mass is mass = weight / acceleration due to gravity. So, to find the mass of the car on the slope, you will divide the weight of the car by the cosine of the slope angle.

2. What is normal force and how is it related to the mass of a car on a slope?

Normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the case of a car on a slope, the normal force is equal to the weight of the car multiplied by the sine of the slope angle. This means that as the mass of the car increases, the normal force also increases.

3. Can the mass and normal force of a car on a slope change?

Yes, the mass and normal force of a car on a slope can change depending on various factors such as the weight of the car, the angle of the slope, and the force of gravity. For example, if you add weight to the car or increase the slope angle, the mass and normal force will also increase.

4. What units are used to measure mass and normal force?

Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g), while normal force is measured in newtons (N). However, in some cases, pounds (lb) may also be used to measure mass and normal force.

5. How is the calculation of mass and normal force of a car on a slope useful?

The calculation of mass and normal force of a car on a slope is useful in understanding the forces acting on the car and how they affect its stability and movement. This information can be used in engineering and design to ensure that cars are able to safely navigate different types of slopes and terrains.