Help Needed: Troubleshooting a Stream Insect Motion Problem

In summary: If it was at rest on the shore, then the average velocity would be 0.540 m/s. Lets say the insect is moving and it has a speed of 0.510 m/s upstream (relative to a spot on shore). When it moves an additional 0.510 m downstream (relative to the spot on shore), its average velocity is 0.770 m/s. So the answer to part c would be 0.770 m/s.
asloudascanbe
I've been having difficulty with this problem and can't seem to find where to start. Any help would really be appreciated.

A water insect maintains an average position on the surface of a stream by darting upstream (against the current) then drifting downstream (with the current) to its original position. The current in the stream is 0.540 m/s relative to the shore, and the skater darts upstream 0.510 m (relative to a spot on shore) in 0.770 s during the first part of its motion. Take upstream as the positive direction.
(a) Determine the velocity of the insect relative to the water (i) during its dash upstream

(b) How far upstream relative to the water does the insect move during one cycle of this motion?
m
(c) What is the average velocity of the insect relative to the water?
m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what relative velocity is? You have to show some attempt.

Suppose the skater is still wrt a point on the shore. But the water is flowing past it. What do you think the relative velo of the insect is wrt the flowing water?

I don't know how to solve b and c. I don't even know where to start. can anyone point me in the right direction? a formula or some way to think of it other then the way the question states it. I figured out A finally but I never know what equation to use.

I thought in order to solve part C. I had to do this:

square root of (.510/.770)^2 + (.540)^2 then divide that answer by 2 to find the average. What did I do wrong?

Use this formula: v_ab = va - vb, where v_ab denotes the relative velo of a with respect to b, va and vb are velocities of a and b wrt ground respectively.

Using this, can you find the ans to (a)? Use proper signs.

I found the answers to each part but part C. The formula from shooting star is how I found part A. So why would you not add the velocities of the insect relative to the water and divide by 2 in order to find the average velocity of the bug relative to the water for part c?

First think about this: what is the averege velocity of the insect wrt the shore?

What is the problem with the stream insect motion?

The stream insect motion is not following its expected pattern of movement.

What could be causing this issue?

There are several possible factors that could be causing the problem, such as changes in water flow, pollution levels, or predator presence.

How can I troubleshoot this problem?

You can start by observing the stream and collecting data on water flow, water quality, and the presence of any potential predators. You can also try altering the conditions in the stream to see if that affects the insect's movement.

Are there any specific methods or tools that can help with troubleshooting?

Yes, there are various scientific tools and methods that can aid in troubleshooting the stream insect motion problem, such as water quality testing kits, flow meters, and remote sensing techniques.

Is this a common issue with stream insects?

Stream insect motion problems can occur due to various factors and are not uncommon in aquatic ecosystems. However, the severity and frequency of the issue may vary depending on the specific conditions of the stream and the type of insect species present.