Yield Point and Temparature relationship of High Tensile Steel

In summary, the steel material described has a yield strength of 515 MPa and a tensile strength of 615 MPa at 0 degrees. It is difficult to determine if these strengths will be higher at 80 degrees without knowing the specific alloy and its characteristics. However, most forms of steel tend to show a decrease in strength with increasing temperature. The Chinese high tensile grade steel, Q390C, has a chemical composition of C-0.2, Si-0.55, Mn-1.00-1.6, P<0.045, S<0.035, V-0.02-0.2, NB-0.015-0.060, Ti-0.02-
Vashi
I have a steel material that has a yield strength of 515 mpa and a tensile strength of 615 mpa at zero degrees. What i need to know is will the tensile strength and yield strength be higher than 293 mpa at 80 degrees. The steel is ahigh tensile grade steel from china (Q390C).

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it's Chinese, then I wouldn't count on any of those numbers.

Most common forms of steel are going to exhibit a general trend of decrease in yield strength and ultimate strength with increasing temperature. Since Q390C is not in any of my handy references, I can't comment exactly. However, if that alloy follows the same characteristics of regular alloy steels like a 4140, the yield point should be around 92-95% of the room temperature value according to MIL Handbook 5 (assuming your temperatures were in deg C).

Thanks for your response. Yes I agree, it is difficult to count on these numbers. According to chinese standards. The Chemical Composition of these materials should be as follows. C-0.2,Si-0.55,Mn-1.00-1.6,P<0.045,S<0.035,V-0.02-0.2,NB-0.015-0.060,Ti-0.02-0.20,AL>0.015,CR<0.030,NI<0.7.

The yield Strength varies from 330 mpa to 390 mpa min allowed, with >50mm thick plates having the lowest min yield allowed at zero degrees.

Would this information help to determine if the mpa would be higher at 80 degrees c. And yes i was referring to the temprerature in C.

The following is from Machinery’s Handbook for structural steel

Degrees Fahrenheit 210 400 570 750 930 1100 1300 1475
Strength % of 70 Deg F 103 132 122 86 49 28 ….. ……..

1. What is the yield point of high tensile steel?

The yield point of high tensile steel is the stress level at which the material begins to deform plastically, or permanently, without any increase in load. It is an important factor in determining the strength and ductility of the steel.

2. How does temperature affect the yield point of high tensile steel?

Generally, as temperature increases, the yield point of high tensile steel decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the material becomes more ductile and is able to withstand higher levels of stress before deforming plastically.

3. What is the relationship between yield point and temperature in high tensile steel?

The relationship between yield point and temperature in high tensile steel is described by the yield point temperature coefficient, which is the rate at which the yield point decreases with increasing temperature. This coefficient varies depending on the specific composition and heat treatment of the steel.

4. Can the yield point of high tensile steel be increased at high temperatures?

Yes, the yield point of high tensile steel can be increased at high temperatures through a process called precipitation hardening. This involves heating the steel to a specific temperature and then rapidly cooling it, which creates a fine dispersion of particles that increase the strength of the material.

5. Is the yield point temperature coefficient the same for all types of high tensile steel?

No, the yield point temperature coefficient varies depending on the specific composition and heat treatment of the steel. Different types of high tensile steel may have different coefficients, which can affect their performance at different temperatures.