Understanding Cauchy Sequences in Banach Spaces

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that a given Cauchy sequence (f_n)_n in a banach space E converges to a limit function f in E. The approach involves using the definition of a derivative and showing that the difference between two derivatives (f'_n and f'_m) is small, which implies that the difference between the original functions (f_n and f_m) is also small. This leads to the conclusion that f_n is a Cauchy sequence and therefore converges to f, which is in E. The conversation also mentions using the fact that f'_n(x) is a Cauchy sequence in R for every x and defining f' and f accordingly.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5994/67110701dt0.png

Homework Equations

A banach space is a complete normed space which means that every Cauchy sequence converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at exercise (c).

Suppose [tex] (f_n)_n [/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in E. Then

[tex] |f_n-f_m| < \epsilon\ \forall\ n,m \leq N [/tex]

so

[tex] |f'_n - f'_m| \leq |f'_n - f'_m|_{\infty} < \epsilon [/tex]Am I going in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have that backwards. ||fn-fm||_E<epsilon implies ||f'n-f'm||_infinity<epsilon. Can you use the fact the difference in derivatives of fn and fm is small to prove the difference between fn and fm is small? Hence that fn(x) is a cauchy sequence for each x?

Dick said:
You have that backwards. ||fn-fm||_E<epsilon implies ||f'n-f'm||_infinity<epsilon.
Really? I don't see why this is so.

Can you use the fact the difference in derivatives of fn and fm is small to prove the difference between fn and fm is small? Hence that fn(x) is a cauchy sequence for each x?
But what good will that do?

So here is the interpretation of the assignment in my eyes:

Given a Cauchy sequence [tex](f_n)_n \in\ E[/tex] prove that [tex]||f_n-f||_E \rightarrow 0 [/tex] and that f is in E.

So we have:

[tex] ||f'_n -f'_m||_{\infty} < \epsilon\ \forall m,n \geq N [/tex]

and we want: [tex] ||f'_n -f'||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0\ \forall n \geq N [/tex]

Is this correct?

Yes, that's it. Show f exists and has bounded derivative.

I'm sorry Dick, I have have been thinking about this but I can't seem to get f in E and converging.

Your posts imply that I should prove that f_n is a Cauchy sequence but what do I get from that? You also mention to use the deratives to prove that f_n is Cauchy: do you mean that I should use the definition of the derative?

You know there is a limiting function f', since f'_n(x) is a cauchy sequence in R for every x. So that sequence has a limit, define f'(x) to be that limit. f' is also continuous since it's a uniform limit of continuous functions. Once you have f' just define f to be the integral from 0 to x of f'(t)dt.

1. What are Cauchy sequences in Banach spaces?

Cauchy sequences in Banach spaces are sequences of elements that converge to a limit. In other words, for any given tolerance, there exists a point in the sequence after which all elements are within that tolerance from the limit. This is a fundamental concept in the study of Banach spaces, which are complete normed vector spaces.

2. How are Cauchy sequences different from convergent sequences?

Convergent sequences in Banach spaces are a special case of Cauchy sequences, where the limit of the sequence is an element in the space itself. Cauchy sequences, on the other hand, only require that the elements of the sequence get closer and closer to a limit, without necessarily being an element of the space.

3. Why are Cauchy sequences important in Banach spaces?

Cauchy sequences are important in Banach spaces because they allow us to define the completeness of a space. A Banach space is complete if and only if every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a limit. This is a crucial property in many fields of mathematics, including analysis and functional analysis.

4. How do you prove that a sequence is Cauchy in a Banach space?

To prove that a sequence is Cauchy in a Banach space, we must show that for any given tolerance, there exists a point in the sequence after which all elements are within that tolerance from the limit. This can be done by using the triangle inequality and the definition of convergence. We must also use the completeness of the space to show that the limit exists.

5. Can a sequence be Cauchy but not convergent in a Banach space?

Yes, a sequence can be Cauchy but not convergent in a Banach space. This means that although the elements of the sequence get closer and closer to a limit, that limit is not necessarily an element of the space. This is a key distinction between Cauchy sequences and convergent sequences in Banach spaces.