Motor which operate solely on magnet and gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a motor that operates solely on magnets and gravitational force, without any external energy input. While there are videos online claiming to have models that work, their authenticity is questionable. The conversation also mentions the concept of violating the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and Ivan's law, and the possibility of using a Focault pendulum to add kinetic energy to a magnet. However, the consensus is that such a motor would not be possible as it would violate the laws of physics.
Harmony
I received an assignment from my professor which sounds like follow:

"Suggest a motor which operates only on magnets and gravitational force."

While I did make a search online and found some model which seems to work, I am sill a little skeptical (There are videos online, but none of them are authentic). Are there any design which full fills such requirement, and has been verified? I was told that such machine would not violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics because the magnet itself is the energy source. Can anyone verified / debunk this?

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without any external energy input - it's going to be tricky.
Otherwise it's quite easy.
1, Attach plastic paddle wheel to electric motor.
2, Stand above it
3, Drop magnets onto paddle wheel.
4, Motor turns - generates electricity

You may try putting a permanent magnet on a Focault pendulum.
As the pendulum precesses the magnetic interacts with the Earth's magnetic field and adds kinetic energy!

It not only violates the second law, it also violates Ivan's law. :biggrin:

Perpetual motion/free energy discussions are banned because it [such a motor] would violate the second law.

There is a small amount of energy stored in the field of a magnet, but only a very little bit. And there is no way to switch it on and off as we would do for a motor using electromagnets, brushes, and a rotor.

1. How does a motor that operates solely on magnet and gravity work?

These types of motors work by utilizing the repelling and attracting forces of magnets and the gravitational force of the Earth. As one magnet is attracted to the Earth's core, another magnet is repelled, causing the rotation of the motor.

2. What materials are needed to build a motor that operates solely on magnet and gravity?

The main materials needed are strong magnets, a base or platform, and a rotating shaft. Other materials such as wires, coils, and bearings may also be used to improve the efficiency and stability of the motor.

3. Are there any limitations to motors that operate solely on magnet and gravity?

Yes, these motors are limited in their power and speed compared to traditional motors powered by electricity. They also require a constant supply of magnets and may be affected by external magnetic fields.

4. Can a motor that operates solely on magnet and gravity be used for practical applications?

While these motors may not be as powerful as traditional motors, they can still be used for certain practical applications such as small-scale generators or toys. They can also be used as educational tools to demonstrate the principles of magnetism and gravity.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a motor that operates solely on magnet and gravity?

To improve efficiency, you can experiment with different magnet configurations, use stronger magnets, and reduce friction in the rotating parts. Adding additional coils and wires can also help increase the output of the motor.