How do I Evaluate the Integral using Substitution and Simplification?

• Thread starter Nyasha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: This will help me a lot!In summary, the textbook states that y=2sin\theta should be used for substitution in solving homework equations, but the equation becomes very difficult to solve when this substitution is made. Changing the limits of integration to remember that the y values are at the 0% and 100% limits of the integral, or sketching a graph to see where the two sin^2's and cos^2's intersect, can help solve the equation.
Nyasha

Homework Statement

[tex]
18\int_0^4 \sqrt{4- (y-2)^2}dy
[/tex]

Homework Equations

According to the textbook l am supposed to use [tex]y=2sin\theta [/tex] for substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y=2sin\theta [/tex]

[tex]dy=2cos\theta d\theta [/tex]

[tex]
18\int_0^4 \sqrt{4- (2sin\theta-2)^2}2cos\theta d\theta
[/tex]
( I am stuck at converting the limits of my integral using [tex]y=2sin\theta [/tex] )

[tex]
18\int_0^4 \sqrt{4- (4sin^2\theta-4sin\theta-4sin\theta+4)}2cos\theta d\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
18\int_0^4 \sqrt{4- (4sin^2\theta-8sin\theta+4)}2cos\theta d\theta
[/tex]

( How do l simplify this integral )

Physics news on Phys.org
Nyasha said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
18\int_0^4 \sqrt{4- (y-2)^2}dy
[/tex]

Homework Equations

According to the textbook l am supposed to use [tex]y=2sin\theta [/tex] for substitution

Ermmmm... how can [itex]y[/itex] ever equal 4 with this substitution?

gabbagabbahey said:
Ermmmm... how can [itex]y[/itex] ever equal 4 with this substitution?
That is where l am stuck and also on how to simply this integral

Try a different substitution!:smile:

...maybe [itex]y=4\sin^2\theta[/itex] :wink:

I would make two substitutions: u = y - 2, so du = dy, and then the trig substitution.

As far as your limits of integration, you can carry them along all the way through until you finally undo both substitutions, when your antiderivative will be in terms of y.

You can remind yourself that the limits of integration are y values by doing adding "y = " on the lower limit of integration, like so:
[tex] 18\int_{y = 0}^4 \sqrt{4- (2sin\theta-2)^2}2cos\theta d\theta [/tex]

That should help you remember that these are y values.

Alternatively, you can change the limits of integration for each substitution. If you're careful, both techniques will work.

Mark44 said:
I would make two substitutions: u = y - 2, so du = dy, and then the trig substitution.

As far as your limits of integration, you can carry them along all the way through until you finally undo both substitutions, when your antiderivative will be in terms of y.

You can remind yourself that the limits of integration are y values by doing adding "y = " on the lower limit of integration, like so:
[tex] 18\int_{y = 0}^4 \sqrt{4- (2sin\theta-2)^2}2cos\theta d\theta [/tex]

That should help you remember that these are y values.

Alternatively, you can change the limits of integration for each substitution. If you're careful, both techniques will work.

Engineeringcalculus.jpg

Is this correct.

Nyasha said:
Engineeringcalculus.jpg

Is this correct.

Sure, but you didn't finish evaluating it by substituting in the limits...

Incidentally, there is also a neat little trick to evaluating the integral [tex]\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]... If you sketch a graph of both sin^2 and cos^2 over that interval, you see they both have the same area underneath them

[tex]\implies \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos^2\theta d\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta) d\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (1)d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Sure, but you didn't finish evaluating it by substituting in the limits...

Incidentally, there is also a neat little trick to evaluating the integral [tex]\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]... If you sketch a graph of both sin^2 and cos^2 over that interval, you see they both have the same area underneath them

[tex]\implies \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos^2\theta d\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta) d\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (1)d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Thanks very much.

1. How do I integrate this into my experiment?

Integrating a new element into an experiment can be challenging, but it's important to carefully consider how it will fit in and impact your results. Start by clearly defining the purpose of the integration and how it relates to your overall research question. Then, determine the best method or technique for integrating the new element. Finally, make sure to carefully document and track any changes made to the experiment.

2. What are the potential risks of integrating this?

Before integrating anything new into your experiment, it's important to thoroughly assess any potential risks. This could include things like altering the integrity of your data, impacting the validity of your results, or introducing bias. Consider conducting a risk assessment and discussing any concerns with colleagues or mentors before making any changes.

3. How will this integration impact my results?

Integrating something new into an experiment can certainly have an impact on your results. It's important to carefully consider how the integration will affect the variables you are measuring and how it may alter the outcome of your experiment. If possible, conduct a pilot study or run simulations to get a better understanding of the potential impact.

4. Can I integrate this into an existing experiment or do I need to start a new one?

The answer to this question really depends on the nature of the integration and your specific experiment. In some cases, it may be possible to integrate the new element into an existing experiment, but in others, it may be necessary to start a new one. Consider the potential impact on your results and the feasibility of integrating into an existing setup before making a decision.

5. How do I ensure the integration is successful?

Integrating something new into an experiment can be a complex process, but there are steps you can take to increase the likelihood of success. Make sure to carefully plan and document the integration process, and regularly check and monitor the results to ensure they align with your expectations. It's also important to communicate with colleagues and seek feedback to identify and address any potential issues that may arise.