Was Energy Balance Overlooked When Examining Evaporation from Solids?

In summary: Heat transfer is the transfer of thermal energy through a medium. Heat transport is the transport of thermal energy through a medium. In your parking lot analogy, when water is evaporating from the puddle the water vapor takes heat energy with it. Heat is not transferred from the liquid water to the water vapor.
rkguy
I am curious. Maybe I don't understand something, but many articles I come across perform an energy balance on a solid and on a liquid.

**I assume evaporation acts on the remaining liquid and not directly on the substrate. Correct?**

They always include heat loss due to evaporation as energy loss from the solid but not the liquid. Would it be more proper to perform a balance on the liquid wherein evaporation removes heat (watts per square meter of surface area? simply KJ?) from the water surface, which would then increase convection from the solid substrate to the water itself?

THere must be a good reason I haven't once seen it described that way (other than laziness).

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi rkguy, welcome to PF. I'm a little confused by your comment about "evaporation as energy loss from the solid." Can you give a couple examples of the articles you're looking at?

Mapes said:
Hi rkguy, welcome to PF. I'm a little confused by your comment about "evaporation as energy loss from the solid." Can you give a couple examples of the articles you're looking at?

Mostly heat loss from pavement surfaces into water runoff.
For example, an article says that during a rain event

the balance on the pavement is change in energy = Rsolar net + Rlong net + Convection to water + Evaporation + Sensible heat + ground conduction

generally, R solar and ground conduction are positive (heating pavement), and Convection, Evaporation, Sensible heat, and Conduction are negative. Rlong varies. (all in W/m2)

I agree that this seems confusing. The convection and evaporation terms seem to be double counting energy losses, as liquid evaporation would effectively cool the liquid and thus increase convective heat loss from the pavement. I concur that adding an energy balance on the liquid would make for a more complete (though also more complex) analysis.

I think your confusing heat transfer with heat transport. In your parking lot analogy, when water is evaporating from the puddle the water vapor takes heat energy with it. Heat is not transferred from the liquid water to the water vapor.

Under your average parking lot conditions water exists in the liquid or vapor form. It is not phase changing from liquid to gas form.

Also, unless you are talking about actual puddles - and decent depth ones - the energy content of the water is probably a whole lot less than the energy content of the parking lot.

1. What is energy balance and why is it important when examining evaporation from solids?

Energy balance refers to the balance between the amount of energy entering and exiting a system. In the context of evaporation from solids, it is important because it affects the rate and amount of evaporation that occurs. If there is an imbalance in energy, it can lead to inaccurate measurements and conclusions about evaporation.

2. How does energy balance affect the rate of evaporation from solids?

Energy balance affects the rate of evaporation from solids by determining the amount of energy available for the process. If there is a higher energy input, such as from heat, it can increase the rate of evaporation. On the other hand, if there is a lower energy input, it can slow down or even halt the evaporation process.

3. What are some factors that can lead to an imbalance in energy when examining evaporation from solids?

Some factors that can lead to an imbalance in energy include changes in temperature, humidity, wind speed, and radiation. These can all affect the energy input and output of a system, and if they are not carefully controlled or accounted for, they can lead to inaccurate measurements and conclusions about evaporation.

4. Can energy balance be overlooked when examining evaporation from solids?

Yes, energy balance can be overlooked when examining evaporation from solids. Oftentimes, researchers may focus solely on measuring the rate of evaporation without considering the energy input and output of the system. This can lead to inaccurate or incomplete conclusions about evaporation.

5. How can energy balance be incorporated into studies of evaporation from solids?

To incorporate energy balance into studies of evaporation from solids, researchers should carefully measure and monitor the energy input and output of the system. This can involve measuring and controlling variables such as temperature, humidity, wind speed, and radiation. Additionally, using mathematical models and equations can help to accurately account for the energy balance in evaporation studies.