Differential equation with laplace transform

In summary: Y(s)-L{y''(t)}=-(Y+ty''(t))soL{t y''(t)}=-[L{y''(t)}]'=-L{y'''(t)}=-Y'''(s)which is why the method works, one is just taking derivatives one after the other.the more general form of this isL{t^n y(t)}=(-1)^nL{y(t)}^(n)Your later post is also incorrect because you are ignoring the effect of y(0) when you took the derivative. As for your claim that "my mathematics professors who confirmed this is the right method to use, and showed us the steps in solving these differential equations
oddiseas

Homework Statement

Solve:

ty''+2y'+y=tJ₂(2√t)

with y(0)=y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the laplace transform i get:

L(y)=Y
L(2y')=2sY
L(ty'')=-2sY-s^2Y

Putting this together:
-2sY+2sY+Y-s^2(dy/ds)=[e^-(1/s)]/s^3

Y'-(1/s^2)Y=[e^-(1/s)]/s^3

Which i can solve because it is first ordre non homogeneous> solving i get:

Y(s)=[e^-(1/s)]/(4s^4 ) +Ce^-(1/s)

I am stuck on how to aplly the initial value theorm. That is the limit as t approches zero of f(t) is equal to the limit as f(s)*s approaches infinity. Apllying this rule i get:

[e^-(1/s)]/(4s^3 ) +sCe^-(1/s)

and as s approches infinity this approaches infinity not zero. So what do i do now? to get the right solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
L(tY'')=-s^2(dY/ds)-2sY

I did not make a mistake in the actual calculation, this was a typing error.

oddiseas said:

Homework Statement

Solve:

ty''+2y'+y=tJ₂(2√t)

with y(0)=y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the laplace transform i get:

L(y)=Y
L(2y')=2sY
L(ty'')=-2sY-s^2Y

Putting this together:
-2sY+2sY+Y-s^2(dy/ds)=[e^-(1/s)]/s^3

Y'-(1/s^2)Y=[e^-(1/s)]/s^3
This makes no sense. You should not have a "Y' ". The whole point of the "Laplace transform" is that it converts a differential equation for y to an algebraic equation for Y.

There should be no "dy/ds" in the equation.

Using what you have written above, [itex]2sY- s^2Y+ 2sY+ Y= e^{-1/s}/s^3[/itex]

Solve that for Y.

Which i can solve because it is first ordre non homogeneous> solving i get:

Y(s)=[e^-(1/s)]/(4s^4 ) +Ce^-(1/s)

I am stuck on how to aplly the initial value theorm. That is the limit as t approches zero of f(t) is equal to the limit as f(s)*s approaches infinity. Apllying this rule i get:

[e^-(1/s)]/(4s^3 ) +sCe^-(1/s)

and as s approches infinity this approaches infinity not zero. So what do i do now? to get the right solution?

The inverse transorm of a function multiplied by "t" to any power n, is the nth derivative of the transform with respect to s, without the "t" factor:
ie -1^n d/ds
Thus L(Y't)=-d/ds(sY) etc.
this allows us to transpose a differential equation with "variable coefiicients" with respect to t. If you don't know what youre talking about, don't reply to my posts thanks>

Last edited by a moderator:
I can vouch for the fact that HallsOfIvy does know what he's talking about.
oddiseas said:
The inverse transorm of a function multiplied by "t" to any power n, is the nth derivative of the transform with respect to s, without the "t" factor:
ie -1^n d/ds
Not quite. The Laplace transform (not the inverse (Laplace) transform) of tny(t), or L{tny(t)}, is (-1)nY(n)(s).

In your differential equation, you need the Laplace transform of ty''(t). The formulas above doesn't cover this. I was unable to find the Laplace transform of ty''(t) in 6 different online tables, so I can't confirm what you have or say that it's wrong. If I continued to be unsuccessful in finding a formula for the Laplace transform of this function, I would try to get it by using the definition, namely
[tex]L\{ty''(t)\} = \int_{0}^{\infty} t y''(t) e^{-st} dt[/tex]
oddiseas said:
Thus L(Y't)=-d/ds(sY) etc.
No, L{y'(t)} = sY(s) - y(0), so you're not even warm here. You are confusing two different formulas L{ty(t)} and L{y'(t)}.
oddiseas said:
this allows us to transpose a differential equation with "variable coefiicients" with respect to t. If you don't know what youre talking about, don't reply to my posts thanks>

Are you telling me that "Both" my mathematics professors who confirmed this is the right method to use, and showed us the steps in solving these differential equations are wrong and you are right? Check your maths books for variable cooeficient, and by the way, just because you "vouch" for someone does that mean that they are correct. Maybe you should investigate the concept thorouly for yourself and then make an informed statement.

oddiseas said:
Are you telling me that "Both" my mathematics professors who confirmed this is the right method to use, and showed us the steps in solving these differential equations are wrong and you are right? Check your maths books for variable cooeficient, and by the way, just because you "vouch" for someone does that mean that they are correct. Maybe you should investigate the concept thorouly for yourself and then make an informed statement.
Please read what I wrote in my previous post. I said nothing about your method being an incorrect method. What I did do was point out two errors in what you wrote, one minor and one where you were way off. The formulas I provided can be found in any halfway complete table of Laplace transforms. If there is anything in my post that is incorrect, I would like to know about it.

To be honest, though, your attitude surprises me. It is not often that students come here for help, and insult those who are trying to help them.
Mark

Mark44 said:
I was unable to find the Laplace transform of ty''(t) in 6 different online tables, so I can't confirm what you have or say that it's wrong.

No, L{y'(t)} = sY(s) - y(0), so you're not even warm here. You are confusing two different formulas L{ty(t)} and L{y'(t)}.

ty''(t) is not normally listed in tables, one is expected to combine the results of t y and y''

as for
L{t y'(t)}=-[L{y'(t)}]'=-[sY(s)-y(0)]'=-[sY(s)]'=-Y(s)-s Y'(s)

oddiseas said:
... just because you "vouch" for someone does that mean that they are correct.

Just because someone makes a mistake does not mean you should be rude.

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to simplify differential equations and solve problems that involve time-dependent systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform related to differential equations?

The Laplace transform can be used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It transforms the equation from the time domain to the frequency domain, where it can be manipulated using algebraic operations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform in solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform allows for the solution of complicated differential equations that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also helps in solving initial value problems and systems of differential equations.

4. What are the limitations of using the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform cannot be used for all types of functions, as there are some conditions that must be met for it to be applicable. Additionally, it may not work for differential equations with discontinuous or non-differentiable functions.

5. Can the Laplace transform be used for both linear and nonlinear differential equations?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be used for both linear and nonlinear differential equations. However, it is more commonly used for linear differential equations, as the algebraic manipulation is easier to perform in this case.