Verifying Refraction of Coin in Water & Benzene

• Thread starter KBriggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
The apparent depth of the coin, when viewed from normal incidence in air above the benzene, is 0.885m. In summary, the problem involves finding the apparent depth of a coin resting at the bottom of a tank of water with a layer of benzene on top. Using the ratio of apparent depth to real depth, the apparent depth for an observer in benzene is found to be 1.128m. Treating the whole tank as benzene, the apparent depth is then calculated to be 0.885m. These numbers have been verified by another person.
KBriggs
Hey,
this is just an exercise in my textbook. I think I have the solution, but I would just like for someone to verify my answer.

A coin rests on the bottom of a tank of water 1m deep, with a 20cm layer of benzene on top of the water. n for water is 1.33, for benzene it is 1.5. Find the apparent depth of the coin views from normal incidence in air above the benzene.

What I did was I split it up - I assumed an observer in the benzene, and proved that the ratio of apparent depth to real depth was:

[tex]\frac{d'}{d} = \frac{n_b}{n_w}=>d' = 1.128m[/tex] for an observer in benzene at the b-w interface looking down through water.

Then I treated the problem as though the whole tank was benzene and the object was at a depth 0f 0.2 + 1.128m. The analysis was the same, with the result of d'' = 0.885m.

Can someone verify these numbers for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer look good to me.

Dear student, your solution seems to be correct. The apparent depth of the coin viewed from normal incidence in air above the benzene can be calculated by considering the refraction at the interface between air and benzene, and then at the interface between benzene and water. Your approach of splitting the problem into two parts is a valid method. Your calculated values of 1.128m and 0.885m for the apparent depth of the coin are in line with the expected values based on the refractive indices of water and benzene. Good job on your solution!

1. How do you verify refraction of a coin in water and benzene?

To verify refraction of a coin in water and benzene, you can perform an experiment using a transparent container filled with water and another container filled with benzene. Place the coin in the water and observe its position. Then, transfer the coin to the benzene container and observe its position again. If the coin appears to be in a different position in each container, this indicates that the refraction of light is different in water and benzene.

2. Why is it important to verify refraction of a coin in water and benzene?

Verifying refraction of a coin in water and benzene can help us understand the properties of different substances and how light behaves when it passes through them. This information is useful in many fields, such as optics, chemistry, and biology.

3. What is refraction and how does it affect the position of a coin?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different substances with different densities. This bending of light can affect the position of objects, such as a coin, when viewed through these substances. As light passes through water and benzene, it bends at different angles, causing the coin to appear in different positions.

4. Are there any other substances that can be used to verify refraction of a coin?

Yes, there are many other substances that can be used to verify refraction of a coin. Some examples include glass, oil, and air. Each substance will have a different refractive index, which affects the angle at which light is bent and the position of the coin when viewed through it.

5. Can you use this experiment to determine the refractive index of water and benzene?

Yes, you can use this experiment to determine the refractive index of water and benzene. By measuring the angles at which light is bent in each substance, you can calculate the refractive index using Snell's law. This value can then be compared to the known refractive index of water and benzene to verify the accuracy of the experiment.