Protect Your Electronics: Choosing the Right Surge Protector for Thunderstorms

In summary: Some protectors claim protection with their numeric specs, but those specs are meaningless if the protector is not connected to protection. All protectors require an Earth ground to be effective. You can either spend $25 or $150 for a protector that does not even claim protection in its specs, or spend $1 per protected appliance for the solution that is used anywhere and everywhere that surge damage must not happen. Your choice. Either chose a scam. Or use science to properly Earth an effective protector.
Loren Booda
If a thunderstorm approaches, would you turn off your electronics, unplug them or rely on a surge protector to avoid frying your circuits?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Arghhh! A surge knocked out my clock radio just last night. (BIG SNOW!) I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. It shows the display "12:00" but will not budge from there. Thank God my computer's OK!

Any suggestions?

Loren Booda said:
Arghhh! A surge knocked out my clock radio just last night. (BIG SNOW!) I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. It shows the display "12:00" but will not budge from there. Thank God my computer's OK!

Any suggestions?
If I were having problems with lightning causing surges on my electrical circuits, I would unplug my computer and maybe TV. But be warned that lighting can get into phone lines or cables providing you internet service. So unplug them also. I had to replace a modem once due to a lightning surge on my phone line.

Loren Booda said:
If a thunderstorm approaches, would you turn off your electronics, unplug them or rely on a surge protector to avoid frying your circuits?
Your question was answered almost two month ago in:
Surge Protector Settings

Effective protectors only come from companies with a better reputation such as Intermatic, Square D, Siemens, Keison, Leviton, or General Electric. An effective Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

For over 100 years, the only effective solution has always been about where energy dissipates. No protector provides protection. Repeated because the sentence bluntly confronts a popular myth. No protector provides protection. A protector is only a connecting device to protection - as the NIST said in that previous discussion. Either you connect energy harmlessly to Earth - energy does not enter the building. Or that energy hunts for ground inside the building and destructively via appliances. Only you make that choice.

Either spend $25 or $150 for protectors *that do not even claim protection in their numeric specs*. Or spend $1 per protected appliance for the solution that is used anywhere and everywhere that surge damage must not happen. Your choice. Either chose a scam. Or use science to properly Earth an effective protector.

Early 20th Century Ham radio operators would disconnect antenna leads. Even put that cable inside a mason jar. And still suffer damage. Even disconnecting was not effective. Damage stopped when that antenna lead was earthed. No mystery once you learn what has always been required for surge protection.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. A protector is only as effective as its Earth ground.

1. How does a surge protector protect my electronics during a thunderstorm?

A surge protector regulates the amount of voltage that reaches your electronics by diverting excess voltage to a grounding wire. This prevents the voltage from damaging your devices.

2. How do I choose the right surge protector for my electronics?

When choosing a surge protector, look for one with a high joule rating (at least 600 joules), multiple outlets, and a UL seal of approval. It's also important to consider the type of equipment you will be plugging in and the location where it will be used.

3. Can I use a power strip instead of a surge protector?

No, power strips and surge protectors are not the same. Power strips do not regulate voltage and do not offer protection against power surges. It's important to use a surge protector specifically designed for this purpose.

4. How often should I replace my surge protector?

Surge protectors have a limited lifespan and should be replaced every 2-3 years, or after they have protected your devices from a significant surge. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as a damaged cord or melted plastic, and replace the surge protector if necessary.

5. Can I plug all of my devices into one surge protector?

It's important to not overload your surge protector with too many devices. Each surge protector has a maximum load capacity, and exceeding it can cause the protector to fail. It's best to spread your devices across multiple surge protectors to ensure they are all adequately protected.