Rigid Body dynamics - elastic collisions

In summary, the rigid body tile drops without spinning until its corners reach positions (0; 0; 0); (2a; 0; 0); (2a; 2b; 0); (0; 2b; 0), when it strikes the top of a vertical pole at a point very close to the (0; 0; 0) corner. Just before impact, the tile's velocity was (0; 0;u). Assuming that the tile does not break, and that the impact is elastic (i.e. the kinetic energy of the tile is conserved), find immediately after impact the (a) velocity of its centre, (b) the angular momentum about its centre, and (c) its angular velocity.
Plutoniummatt

Homework Statement

A uniform rectangular tile drops without spinning until its corners reach positions
(0; 0; 0); (2a; 0; 0); (2a; 2b; 0); (0; 2b; 0), when it strikes the top of a vertical pole at a
point very close to the (0; 0; 0) corner. Just before impact the velocity of the tile was
(0; 0;u). Assuming that the tile does not break, and that the impact is elastic (i.e.
the kinetic energy of the tile is conserved), find immediately after impact

(a) the velocity of its centre;
(b) the angular momentum about its centre;
(c) its angular velocity.

Show that the velocity of the corner at (0; 0; 0) becomes (0; 0;+u) immediately after
impact.

Homework Equations

Inertia tensors of the rigid body involved, all standard mechanics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to approach this...all i can write down is the initial KE = final KE...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Plutoniummatt! :smile:

(what is the velocity just before impact? on my computer it looks like (0; 0;u) :confused:)
Plutoniummatt said:
I honestly have no idea how to approach this...all i can write down is the initial KE = final KE...

ok, write that down.

Then, since there's no external torque-impulse about the corner, write down conservation of angular momentum about the corner.

Ok, what do I do after? Something to do with moment of inertia tensor maybe? although don't know how to find the axis of rotation...and how do I find angular velocity?

Thanks

Hi Plutoniummatt! :wink:

Write out all the equations, and see where you get. :smile:

(and yes, you will need the moment of inertia tensor for the angular momentum equation)

Hi Plutoniummatt! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

Let's see … your moment of inertia tensor Îc (about the centre of mass) has principal moments of inertia mb2/3 ma2/3 and m(a2 + b2)/3.

So yes, now use the parallel axis theorem to get the principal moments of inertia at (0,0,0), and then use Îω and ωÎω/2. :smile:

What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size even when external forces are applied to it. In other words, the distance between any two points on the object remains constant.

What are elastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are collisions between two objects where both the total kinetic energy and the total momentum are conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects will have the same speed and direction as before the collision.

How is the velocity of a rigid body calculated during an elastic collision?

The velocity of a rigid body during an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations. The equations take into account the mass and initial velocities of the objects involved in the collision.

What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision is affected by factors such as the mass, initial velocities, and angle of collision between the objects. Additionally, the elasticity or stiffness of the objects can also impact the outcome of the collision.

Can a rigid body have an elastic collision with a non-rigid body?

No, a rigid body can only have an elastic collision with another rigid body. This is because non-rigid bodies can deform and change shape during a collision, making it impossible to conserve both momentum and energy.