I don't want to go into medicine

• Thread starter hy23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medicine
In summary, Pengwuino doesn't want to go into medicine because she thinks it's boring. She thinks there must be great careers out there for someone who wants to delve deeper into math and physics, and she wants to make more money. She thinks working for defense companies and oil companies is an opportunity to do just that.
hy23
I don't want to go into medicine!

Ok it seems like everyone studying in the Faculty of Science wants to become doctors. To me, being a doctor seriously sounds so boring. I mean, if I do get accepted into med school, that'd be cool and all. But it seems to me like I would be depriving myself of all the real interesting pursuits in life. What I'm really passionate about is math and physics, I mean the concepts presented in these disciplines aim to interpret our very existence, it's just so much more mindblowing than memorizing drugs in med school. Surely there must be some great career paths that will allow one the opportunity to dwelve deeper into math and physics and pay fat salaries at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org

People generally don't go into pure sciences for the money. Seems like your priorities are misplaced, or you haven't decided what's really important for you in a career.

hy23 said:
Surely there must be some great career paths that will allow one the opportunity to dwelve deeper into math and physics and pay fat salaries at the same time?

Well, does working for defense companies and oil companies sound like an opportunity to delve deeper into math and physics? There is good money there. However the further you wish to pursue pure physics, the less people will be willing to pay you because you start looking at more abstract topics.

oh no, I definitely understand that any career involving pure physics or pure math does not pay much; I would be satisfied with some job that let's me use aspects of advanced math or physics and pay more than what a professor gets, this way I get to keep my brain sharp so I will be capable of dwelving into abstract topics in my spare time. With fields like medicine, it seems like they turn you into a talking biology textbook.

@fss well money is definitely top priority, only problem is all the jobs I know that pay big (like doctor) seems to be so monotone, there's no creativity!

@pengwuino: that sounds cool, know anything about working in those fields?

Most people who want to become doctors never will become doctors.

Medicine isn't boring an monotonous. They do research too, you know.

Pengwuino, is this idea attributable to Condensed Matter Physics? Would you consider Condensed Matter Physics (superconductors, nanotechnology/quantum computing) to be a more applied area which is high in employability?

1. What are some career options for someone who does not want to pursue medicine?

There are many career paths available for individuals who do not want to go into medicine. Some options include research, teaching, engineering, computer science, business, law, and various fields within the arts and humanities.

2. Do I need to have a science background to pursue a non-medical career in the science field?

While a science background may be helpful, it is not always necessary for non-medical careers in the science field. Many roles, such as science writing, science communication, and science policy, value skills such as writing, critical thinking, and communication more than a specific degree or background.

3. Is it possible to switch to a non-medical career after completing a degree in medicine?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a non-medical career after completing a degree in medicine. Many transferable skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, are valuable in various fields. It may require additional education or training, but it is not uncommon for individuals to switch to a different career path after pursuing medicine.

4. Are there any transferable skills from studying medicine that can be useful in non-medical careers?

Yes, there are many transferable skills from studying medicine that can be useful in non-medical careers. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, time management, communication, and teamwork. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can be applied in various roles.

5. How can I explore non-medical career options while in school or during training in the medical field?

There are many ways to explore non-medical career options while in school or during training in the medical field. You can take elective courses, attend career fairs, participate in internships or shadowing experiences, and network with professionals in different fields. It can also be helpful to talk to career counselors or mentors for advice and guidance.