Submersible 480v pump w/out ground

In summary, the conversation discusses a 480vac submersible pump without ground and the potential risks of water and electricity. It is mentioned that the pump is double insulated and well shielded, making the effects of leakage current minimal.
johnhagaman
submersible 480v pump w/out ground!

I came across a 480vac submersible pump (70hp) that was not grounded. This lead me to a question about water and electricity. If the motor lead (one of them) insulation had been damaged and the conductor came in contact with the water, what would be the result? This is not pure water, but fairly dirty so it would probably be a good conductor. My fear is that the water may remain at a high potential (as long as the resistance was high enough to not trip the breaker), thus leading to a possible electrocution if somebody was to come in contact with the water.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would most likely make a short circuit at the bottom of the well, so that people on top would not be endangered.

However, submersible pumps are double insulates, and well shielded for the application, so the effects of leakage current are negligible.

1. What is a submersible 480v pump without ground?

A submersible 480v pump without ground is a type of pump that is designed to be submerged in water or other liquids, and operates on a 480 volt electrical system without the need for a ground wire. This type of pump is commonly used in industrial and agricultural settings, as well as for groundwater pumping and dewatering applications.

2. How does a submersible 480v pump without ground work?

A submersible 480v pump without ground works by converting electrical energy from a 480 volt power source into mechanical energy, which is used to pump water or other liquids. The lack of a ground wire means that the pump does not require a direct connection to the earth, making it easier to install and maintain. The pump is typically designed with a sealed motor and housing to prevent water from entering and causing damage.

3. What are the benefits of using a submersible 480v pump without ground?

There are several benefits to using a submersible 480v pump without ground, including reduced installation and maintenance costs, as well as increased safety. The lack of a ground wire simplifies the installation process and eliminates the need for regular grounding checks. Additionally, these pumps are often more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to other types of pumps.

4. Can a submersible 480v pump without ground be used for drinking water?

While submersible 480v pumps without ground are commonly used for industrial and agricultural purposes, they are not typically recommended for use with drinking water. This is because the lack of a ground wire creates a higher risk of electrical shock, which can be dangerous for humans. It is best to consult with a professional before using this type of pump for drinking water applications.

5. How do I choose the right submersible 480v pump without ground for my needs?

When choosing a submersible 480v pump without ground, it is important to consider factors such as the liquid being pumped, the flow rate and head (pressure) required, and the power source available. It is also important to select a pump from a reputable manufacturer and to follow all safety guidelines and regulations. It may be helpful to consult with a professional to ensure you choose the best pump for your specific needs.