Is Cloud Computing Right for Me? A Skeptic's Guide

In summary, you are hesitant about cloud computing because you don't trust companies with your data, but you still use it for convenience. You back up your data twice a day onto external hard drives, and you have never accessed your checking account via your iPhone.
Geezer
http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=245"

I'm really hesitant about jumping on the cloud computing bandwagon. There's something about it that makes me uneasy. Am I being a curmudgeon for wanting to have complete control of my data?

FYI: We back up our data twice each day onto external RAID ("redundant array of independent disks" or something to that effect) hard drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you use any web-based e-mail service? If you do, you're already there.

But my research, financial information, etc., aren't on my web-based email, so if my email gets hacked, my financial information is still safe, and my research (data files, etc.) remains inaccessible. I've never once accessed my checking account via my iPhone; if someone steals my phone, they might be able to check my email, but they're not going to be able to get any other personal information out of it (I'm not dumb enough to store important passwords or other login information on my phone).

I like keeping my devices (and their corresponding information) separate.

I like the idea of cloud computing for convenience and for outsourcing computation however with recent corporate data atrocities like the Sony hacking cases or facebook's awful privacy policies I wouldn't trust placing all my data online.

Geezer said:
But my research, financial information, etc., aren't on my web-based email, so if my email gets hacked, my financial information is still safe, and my research (data files, etc.) remains inaccessible.

You have no way of knowing that your financial data is safe. Just because there's nothing in your e-mail (and in all actuality your financial data is stored on your e-mail server somewhere if you ever used it for banking), you're still at the http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304778304576375911873193624.html".

I like keeping my devices (and their corresponding information) separate.
You're probably not as good at this as you think. Most people aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use dropbox and your opinion will change too fast.

1. What is cloud computing?

Cloud computing refers to the remote storage, management, and access of data and programs over the internet rather than on a local computer or server. This means that instead of storing data and running programs on your own devices, you can use the resources of a cloud service provider.

2. How does cloud computing work?

Cloud computing works by storing data and applications on remote servers maintained by a cloud service provider. Users can access these resources through an internet connection, allowing for remote access to data and programs without the need for local storage or processing power.

3. Is cloud computing secure?

Cloud computing can be secure, but it ultimately depends on the measures taken by the cloud service provider and the user. Cloud service providers typically have robust security measures in place to protect data and prevent unauthorized access. However, users must also take precautions to ensure the security of their data, such as using strong passwords and implementing encryption.

4. What are the benefits of using cloud computing?

Some benefits of using cloud computing include cost savings, as users do not need to invest in expensive hardware and maintenance, scalability, as users can easily increase or decrease their storage and computing needs, and remote access to data and programs, allowing for increased flexibility and collaboration.

5. Is cloud computing right for me?

Whether or not cloud computing is right for you depends on your specific needs and circumstances. Cloud computing can be a cost-effective and efficient solution for many businesses, but it may not be suitable for all. It is important to research and consider factors such as security, data sensitivity, and compatibility before deciding if cloud computing is the right choice for you.