Exploring Voltage Between Point Charges and Its Implications

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between distance and voltage in the case of two point charges. It is observed that increasing the distance between two points near point charges also increases the voltage between them, which is surprising as it was previously thought that this effect only occurred with infinitely large plates. This has implications for accelerating charged particles and may seem counter-intuitive. A calculator is provided to determine voltage and field at a point with one or two charges.
DocZaius
Today I was reflecting about the statement that increasing the distance between two large charged plates increases voltage, when I started to wonder what the behavior was near point charges (more voltage? as much? less?).

Q and -Q are charges. P1 and P2 are locations.

Q @ x=0m
P1 @ x=1m
P2 @ x=2m
-Q @ x=3m

[itex]V=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/itex]
V=0 at r=infinity.

Let |Q| = [itex]4\pi\epsilon_{0}[/itex] so that being 1 meter from +Q (and only +Q) gives 1 V.

It's clear that voltage at [itex]V_{P1}=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]V_{P2}=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and that [itex]\Delta V=1[/itex]

Now increase the distance between the two points and charges. There are now 2 meters between the points, but each is just as close to their respective charges.

Q @ x=0m
P1 @ x=1m
P2 @ x=3m
-Q @ x=4m

Now: [itex]V_{P1}=\frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]V_{P2}=-\frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta V=\frac{4}{3}[/itex]

As P2 and -Q get moved far away (but with P2 staying 1 meter from -Q), it's clear that [itex]\Delta V[/itex] will approach 2.

Is it fair for me to deduce from this that increasing distance between point charges also increases voltage between points near them? If so, this would be surprising as I thought that only increasing distance between infinitely large plates increased voltage, because of the constant field intensity near infinitely large plates. I did not know this effect could also work for the simple case where field intensity actually drops with distance (as it does with point charges).

The implication is that if I wanted to give a charged particle maximum kinetic energy as it accelerates between these two charges, I would prefer these two charges to first be as distant as possible. This seems somehow counter-intuitive. Also, every time I see someone talk about increased distance resulting in increased voltage, it is for the case of charged plates. The more fundamental case of point charges also obeying this rule would seem to me to warrant priority as an example of this behavior.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you have q and -q and you separate them further, then yes the voltage increases,. It is not linear though like for charged planes.

Remember, voltage is the line integral of the electric field. Even though the electric field between the two points is less due to the increased separation (1.33X) of the charges, the increased distance in the integral (2X) more than makes up for it.

Here's a nifty calculator to determine the voltage and field at a point given one or two charges:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/e2p.html

1. What is voltage and how is it related to point charges?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric field. It is related to point charges because the movement of charges from one point to another creates this potential difference.

2. How is voltage between point charges calculated?

Voltage between point charges is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the voltage, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What are the implications of exploring voltage between point charges?

Exploring voltage between point charges can help us understand how electric fields and charges interact, and how this affects the flow of electricity. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics and energy production.

4. How does the distance between point charges affect the voltage?

The voltage between point charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can voltage between point charges be negative?

Yes, voltage between point charges can be negative, indicating that the electric potential at one point is lower than at the other. This can occur when the charges are of opposite signs, or when the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the movement of charges.