Free Vibration, 1DOF, Walkthrough?

• Thread starter Jowin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the speaker is struggling with the Dynamics module in their Mechanical Engineering degree and is looking for online resources and worked examples to help them understand the concepts better. They have already identified some key equations and symbols, but need more practice and clarification. Suggestions are made to look for resources online, collaborate with classmates, and seek help from their lecturer or a tutor.
Jowin86
Hi,

I've just started a degree in Mechanical Engineering after a HNC and I am having trouble with the Dynamics module!

The lecturer literally just blabbed on about Free Vibration and did a worked example of a free vibration system with 1 degree of freedom. He didn't tell us any of the equations used or what any of the symbol stood for and i learned nothing.

I've read around for a few hours and got most of the x=displacement, m=mass, omega(n)= natural frequency but i need some worked examples that I can work through in order to get used to working out the questions etc.

So basically my questions is does anyone know of any online worked examples that I can try and figure this out with?

Thanks in advance for any help, I am guessing I've not made a lot of sense here so any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I completely understand your frustration with the Dynamics module. It can be a challenging subject, especially when the lecturer doesn't provide enough information or examples.

First of all, it's great that you have already identified some of the key equations and symbols used in free vibration. This shows that you are on the right track. However, it's important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and concepts before attempting to solve specific examples. This will help you tackle a variety of problems and not just the ones you have seen before.

I would suggest looking for resources online such as video tutorials or practice problems with solutions. Some good websites to check out are Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. You can also try searching for specific topics on YouTube, as there are many channels dedicated to engineering tutorials.

Another helpful tip is to reach out to your classmates or join a study group. Collaborating with others can often make difficult concepts easier to understand. You can also ask your lecturer or teaching assistant for additional resources or clarification on any confusing topics.

Remember, practice makes perfect. So don't be afraid to work through as many examples as you can find. And if you still have trouble, don't hesitate to seek help from your lecturer or a tutor. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is free vibration in 1DOF systems?

Free vibration in 1DOF (degree of freedom) systems refers to the natural oscillations that occur when a system is displaced from its equilibrium position and left to vibrate freely. This type of vibration occurs without any external forces acting on the system.

2. How is free vibration different from forced vibration?

Free vibration is different from forced vibration in that it occurs without any external forces acting on the system, while forced vibration is caused by an external force applied to the system. Free vibration is also characterized by a single natural frequency, while forced vibration can have multiple frequencies.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a 1DOF system?

The natural frequency of a 1DOF system is affected by the stiffness of the system, the mass of the system, and the damping present in the system. A higher stiffness or lower mass will result in a higher natural frequency, while higher damping will decrease the natural frequency.

4. How is the natural frequency calculated for a 1DOF system?

The natural frequency of a 1DOF system can be calculated using the equation ω = √(k/m), where ω is the natural frequency in radians per second, k is the stiffness of the system in Newtons per meter, and m is the mass of the system in kilograms.

5. What is the importance of understanding free vibration in 1DOF systems?

Understanding free vibration in 1DOF systems is important in many fields, such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and physics. It allows us to predict the behavior of systems when they are disturbed from their equilibrium position, and can help in designing systems to withstand vibrations and oscillations.