Where to start? It's been a long time since I've been in any sort of education.

In summary, John is a 20-year-old individual who has left secondary school with terrible GCSE's. He has a passion for physics and wants to study this subject at university. He is trying to self-educate himself until he can go back to university. He has two options: self-education or going to university. The first option is cheaper, but the second one is more likely to result in a successful career.
NinetyOne
Hello guys, I'm new to the forums and am in need of some guidance.

I left secondary school in 2008 with beyond terrible GCSE's. All my school life I had been an exceptionally hard worker, and had been predicted A's in most of my GCSE's. Then something happened in my life that crushed me, changed me. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I spent my time playing highly technical computer games like starcraft to keep my mind busy.

Anyway, enough of that, now I've just turned 20, I'm looking to get back into education. Where do I start? I have no A levels and no GCSE's that any good university would consider. I know without a doubt that I want to study Maths, Science and Physics. These are the only subjects I truly ever enjoyed, and I really had/have a passion for physics most of all.

If you haven't guessed by now, yes I'm currently living in England, soon to be Scotland. I've been trying to self educate myself as much as possible until I get back to education.

What are my choices?

Thanks.

John

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey NinetyOne and welcome to the forums.

Mepris websites are very good, but just remember you will probably be starting a calculus based course in your first year of university and you are not expected to have mastered it, so keep that in mind.

Also an important thing to note is that physics is very mathematics driven in university unlike in high school where it may not very well be that way.

You might also benefit by reading the Feynman lectures on Physics which is a good companion for physics students.

A good first step in the UK would be the careers advice service at your local further education college. Work out a plan to get some GSCE and A levels, that fits with the rest of your lifestyle. You should be able to study part time or at evening classes if are working.

The education systems in England and Scotland are not identical, but I expect the Scottish system has something equivalent.

I can understand your passion for maths, science, and physics. It is never too late to pursue your education and I commend you for taking the first step in seeking guidance. Here are some suggestions on where to start:

1. Consider enrolling in a foundation or access course: These courses are specifically designed for individuals who do not have traditional qualifications but want to pursue higher education. They provide a solid foundation in key subjects and can help you gain entry into university.

2. Look into open university courses: The Open University offers distance learning courses that are flexible and can fit into your schedule. They also have a variety of subjects including maths, science, and physics.

3. Contact universities directly: Some universities may consider non-traditional qualifications or may have alternative entry routes for mature students. It is worth reaching out to them to see if they have any options that could work for you.

4. Consider apprenticeships or internships: These can be a great way to gain practical experience and learn on the job while also earning a wage. It may also lead to further educational opportunities in the future.

5. Continue to self-educate: Keep reading, watching documentaries, and engaging in online courses to continue expanding your knowledge and skills in your desired subjects.

Remember, it is never too late to pursue your passions and education. Stay determined and keep exploring your options. Best of luck on your journey!

1. Where do I begin with getting back into education as a scientist?

The first step would be to assess your current knowledge and skills in the field of science. This could involve taking a refresher course or reviewing old course materials. You can also reach out to colleagues or professionals in your field for advice on where to start.

2. How can I stay motivated and focused after being out of education for a long time?

It's important to set clear goals for yourself and create a schedule or study plan to help you stay on track. Also, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide accountability and help keep you motivated. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your progress.

3. Will my previous education still be relevant?

It depends on how long it has been since you were last in education and the field of science you are interested in. It's always a good idea to review and refresh your knowledge, but your previous education can still provide a solid foundation for further learning.

4. Is it necessary to go back to school or can I learn on my own?

It ultimately depends on your goals and the resources available to you. While self-learning can be beneficial, going back to school can provide access to resources, networking opportunities, and a structured learning environment. Consider your options and choose the path that best aligns with your goals.

5. How can I balance my current job and family responsibilities with going back to education?

It can be challenging to balance multiple responsibilities, but it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This could mean setting aside specific times for studying, delegating tasks, or seeking support from family and friends. Remember to also take care of yourself and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.