Determine whether the limit exists and evaluate the integral if it does

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the existence of a limit and evaluating an integral using the dominated convergence theorem and a power series representation. The attempt at a solution involves finding a dominating function for \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} by considering different functions such as \frac{1}{1-x^2}. Eventually, it is determined that \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} is a suitable dominating function and the integral is evaluated.
resolvent1

Homework Statement

Determine whether the limit

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} dx [/itex]

exists and evaluate the integral if it does

Homework Equations

Dominated convergence theorem (I think) and a power series representation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been attempting to find a dominating function for [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} [/itex] by looking at the power series representation for [itex] \frac{1}{1-x^{2n}} [/itex], but I'm not seeing it. I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
resolvent1 said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the limit

[itex] \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} dx [/itex]

exists and evaluate the integral if it does

Homework Equations

Dominated convergence theorem (I think) and a power series representation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been attempting to find a dominating function for [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} [/itex] by looking at the power series representation for [itex] \frac{1}{1-x^{2n}} [/itex], but I'm not seeing it. I'd appreciate any help.
What does k have to do with this?

Why take the limit as k → ∞ ?

Much more interesting if we consider:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{-1}^1 \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}}[/tex]

and in that case isn't:

[tex]x^{2n}\leq x^2[/tex]

in that interval?

Last edited:
Sorry, that should be an n, not a k.

It's true that x^{2n} \leq x^2 on [-1,1], so [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1-x^{2n}}} \leq \frac{1}{1-x^2} [/itex] on [-1,1], but [itex] \frac{1}{1-x^2} [/itex] isn't in [itex] L^1(-1,1) [/itex]

So I'm not sure what to do with it.

What about ##1 \over \sqrt{1-x^2}##?

Thanks, I think that works perfectly. (I can't believe I didn't see that before - sorry - and that problem was really starting to piss me off.)

Good! :)

Does that mean that you also evaluated the integral in its limit?

Yeah, I knew that several hours ago, just not the dominating function. THank you for your help.

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation "lim" and can be used to determine the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function approaches the same value from both sides as the input approaches the given value. This means that the left-hand and right-hand limits must be equal.

3. What is the process for evaluating an integral?

Evaluating an integral involves finding the antiderivative of the function and then plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration to find the definite integral. This process is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. How can you determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

An integral is convergent if the area under the curve is finite and can be found using integration. It is divergent if the area under the curve is infinite and cannot be found using integration.

5. Can a function have a limit but not be integrable?

Yes, a function can have a limit but not be integrable. This can occur if the function has a vertical asymptote or infinite discontinuity at the point of integration.