Cutting Threads in ProE - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, cutting threads in ProE is not a straightforward process as the software does not have a dedicated tool for drawing threads due to the potential increase in file size. The helical sweep tool can be used as a workaround, but it may require some adjustments and may result in issues at the start and end of the threads. A solution to this problem is to create longer threads and then trim or subtract the excess.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do you cut threads in ProE ?

I'm weaning myself off of AutoCAD, and I'm very new to ProE, so please give as detailed a reply as possible.

PS : I can think of one way to do this, using the "helical sweep" tool, but I'm sure there must be a better way. :confused:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind...I just found out that ProE does not have e tool for drawing threads because the additional surface area results in giant file sizes. So it only has a "cosmetic thread" display - showing the min and max diameters, just like in AutoCAD.

Anyway, the helical sweep tool works reasonably well (you actually have to trick ProE by introducing a tiny mismatch) for drawing threads, but it takes a little time, and there are problems at the start and end of the threads. Thius can, in most circumstances, be overcome by threading a greater length and taking off the excess, by either slicing or subtracting.

Sure, I'd be happy to provide a step-by-step guide for cutting threads in ProE. As you mentioned, there are a few different methods for doing this, but I'll walk you through the most common and efficient one.

1. Start by creating a new part in ProE and sketching the profile of the thread you want to cut. This can be any shape or size, as long as it represents the thread you want to create. Make sure the sketch is fully defined before moving on to the next step.

2. Next, go to the "Insert" tab and select "Helical Sweep" from the drop-down menu. This will bring up a dialog box with various options for creating a helical sweep.

3. In the "Sweep Type" section, select "Cut" from the drop-down menu. This will ensure that the thread is cut into the part rather than added on top of it.

4. Under "Sweep Options," select "Thread" as the section type. This will allow you to specify the thread pitch, depth, and other parameters.

5. Use the "Pick Thread" button to select the sketch you created in step 1. This will apply the thread profile to the sweep.

6. Now, you can specify the thread parameters such as pitch, depth, and taper angle. You can also choose to create a left or right-handed thread by selecting the appropriate direction.

7. Once you are satisfied with the thread parameters, click "Apply" to create the thread sweep.

8. Finally, you can use the "Merge" option in the "Sweep Options" section to merge the thread sweep with the part, creating a single solid part with the threads cut into it.

And that's it! You have successfully cut threads in ProE using the helical sweep tool. This method allows for precise control over the thread parameters and produces accurate and realistic threads in your part. I hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Happy designing!

1. What is the purpose of cutting threads in ProE?

The purpose of cutting threads in ProE is to create threaded holes or external threads on a part. This is commonly used in mechanical engineering and manufacturing to join parts together with screws or bolts.

2. How do I access the thread cutting feature in ProE?

To access the thread cutting feature in ProE, go to the "Model" tab and select "Thread" from the "Create" menu. This will open the thread creation window where you can specify the thread type, size, and location on the part.

3. What are the different types of threads available in ProE?

There are three main types of threads available in ProE: metric, unified, and pipe. Metric threads are used in most international applications, unified threads are used in the United States and Canada, and pipe threads are used for plumbing and piping systems.

4. Can I customize the thread parameters in ProE?

Yes, you can customize the thread parameters in ProE to fit your specific needs. You can specify the thread diameter, pitch, start point, and end point, as well as the thread class and fit type. You can also choose to create left-handed threads or reverse the thread direction.

5. Is it possible to edit or modify a thread after it has been created in ProE?

Yes, it is possible to edit or modify a thread after it has been created in ProE. You can use the "Edit Definition" feature to change the thread parameters, such as the thread type or size. You can also use the "Edit Thread" feature to modify the thread geometry, such as the thread depth or pitch diameter.