What is the value of C2 in the given circuit with capacitors C1, C3, and C4?

In summary, the potential difference between nodes b and d is zero, meaning the potentials across capacitors C4 and C1, and C3 and C2, are equal. This allows for the formation of a simple ratio equation, C2/C3 = C1/C4, which can be solved to find the value of C2. Alternatively, the charge on capacitors connected in series is equal, allowing for the use of the voltage divider equation to determine the individual voltages and thus the value of C2.
maiad

Homework Statement

In the arrangement shown in the figure below, a potential difference DeltaV is applied, and C1 is adjusted so that the voltmeter between points b and d reads zero.
http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/sb/Graph26/sb-pic2667.png

This "balance" occurs when C1 = 3.56 µF. If C3 = 9.50 µF and C4 = 12.3 µF, calculate the value of C2

Homework Equations

CΔV=Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that capacitor 1-2, 3-4 is connected in series and the charge on capacitors 1-2, 3-4 are the same because the voltmeter reads zero which mean there's no transfer of electrons between the plates so the charge of the capacitors connected in series should be the same. I came up with the following attempt:

1: C(equivalent 1-2)=(1/C1)+(1/C2)
2:C(equivalent 3-4)=(1/C3)+(1/C4)
3:C(total)= C(equivalent 1-2)+C(equivalent 3-4)
4:Qtotal=Q1+Q2
5:Qtotal= ΔV(C(equivalent 1-2)+C(equivalent 3-4))
When i got step 5, i realized everything just cancels out... lol
so where did I go wrong in my approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the voltmeter reads zero, what does that say about the potential difference between nodes b and d?

o i see...the voltmeter is zero cause the potential difference is the same in both wires?

Last edited:
maiad said:
o i see... the the is zero cause the potential is the same...

Correct. That being so, what can you say about the potentials across capacitors C4 & C1, and capacitors C3 & C2?

Well the potential are the same but when we say potential we're talking about V and not ΔV right?

maiad said:
Well the potential are the same but when we say potential we're talking about V and not ΔV right?

It is the voltage that exist on the capacitors, measured from terminal to terminal.

So if the voltages across those capacitor pairs are the same, if you know the voltage on one you automatically know the other.

Now consider just the two capacitors on the left side of the bridge, C3 and C4. What must be the sum of the voltages of those capacitors?

is it equal to that of the potential difference applied?

maiad said:
is it equal to that of the potential difference applied?

Clearly, yes, since KVL around the battery-C4-C3-battery loop demands it :smile:

Since you know the values of C3 and C4 you should therefore be in a position to determine the voltages on both C3 and C4.

But the only equation with i know is ΔV=Q/C but Q is unknown?

maiad said:
But the only equation with i know is ΔV=Q/C but Q is unknown?

The charges on capacitors connected in series, such as C3 and C4, are equal. It's also the same as the charge on the equivalent capacitance of C3 in series with C4. So if you calculate that equivalent capacitance and place the source voltage across that, you'll know the charge that must be on both capacitors. The charge then gives you the individual voltages.

Another approach, and one I'd recommend learning about, is the voltage divider relationship for capacitors. In the same way that you can determine the voltage that appears across two resistors in series when you known the total voltage across them, you can determine the voltages that appear on individual series-connected capacitors. For two capacitors in series, the voltage divides in inverse ratio to their capacitance values. So for two capacitors, say Ca and Cb, with total voltage V across them, the voltage on Ca is:

[itex] Va = V \frac{Cb}{Ca + Cb} [/itex]

My friend broke it don into a simple ratio equation, C2/C3 = C1/C4 and solved for C2 and it works! but I'm not sure why lol

maiad said:
My friend broke it don into a simple ratio equation, C2/C3 = C1/C4 and solved for C2 and it works! but I'm not sure why lol

It works because of the voltage ratios imposed on the capacitors by nodes b and d being at the same potential (which we discussed above), in combination with the charges on series capacitors being equal (which we discussed above). You would have got there eventually via the voltage divider equation route I was taking above.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which an electric current can flow. It is made up of various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected by conductive wires.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is used in a circuit to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When connected to a circuit, a capacitor can store electrical charge and release it when needed, helping to regulate the flow of current.

3. How do capacitors affect the behavior of a circuit?

Capacitors can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. They can act as energy storage devices, smoothing out voltage fluctuations and improving the stability of a circuit. They can also filter out unwanted frequencies in a signal, and in AC circuits, they can cause a phase shift between voltage and current.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The dielectric constant of the material also plays a significant role in determining the capacitance.

5. Can capacitors be used in DC and AC circuits?

Yes, capacitors can be used in both DC and AC circuits. In DC circuits, they can store energy and smooth out voltage fluctuations. In AC circuits, they can be used for power factor correction, filtering, and tuning resonant circuits.