What's a good field to combine with molecular biology and biochemistry?

In summary, the speaker is about to graduate with a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry and wants to gain private sector experience before pursuing graduate school. They are interested in combining their degree with fields such as pharmacology, toxicology, industrial and environmental applications, and are considering organic chemistry, genetics, physiology, immunology, and biophysics as potential options. Biophysics is highlighted as a particularly relevant field for their interests.
CYP450
So I'm about to graduate with a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry. I don't want to do grad school right away; I want to try to get some private sector experience first.

I'm open studying pharmacology, toxicology and such, but I'm really more interested in industrial and environmental applications. What would be a good field to combine with molecular biology and biochemistry? Physics? Physical chemistry? Materials science? Other?

Physics news on Phys.org
CYP450 said:
So I'm about to graduate with a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry. I don't want to do grad school right away; I want to try to get some private sector experience first.

I'm open studying pharmacology, toxicology and such, but I'm really more interested in industrial and environmental applications. What would be a good field to combine with molecular biology and biochemistry? Physics? Physical chemistry? Materials science? Other?

Organic Chemistry or Genetics relate well.

If you want broaden your horizon, then check out physiology or immunology.

Biophysics is fantastic for what you're looking for I think.

From the wiki page:

"Molecular biophysics typically addresses biological questions that are similar to those in biochemistry and molecular biology, but the questions are approached quantitatively. Scientists in this field conduct research concerned with understanding the interactions between the various systems of a cell, including the interactions between DNA, RNA and protein biosynthesis, as well as how these interactions are regulated. A great variety of techniques are used to answer these questions."

Last edited:

1. What is the best field to combine with molecular biology and biochemistry?

The best field to combine with molecular biology and biochemistry depends on your specific interests and career goals. Some popular options include genetics, microbiology, biotechnology, and pharmacology.

2. How can I pursue a career that combines molecular biology and biochemistry?

To pursue a career in this field, you can consider obtaining a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry and then specializing in a related field through further education or on-the-job training. You can also seek out internships or research opportunities in your desired field to gain experience.

3. What skills are important for a career in molecular biology and biochemistry?

Some important skills for a career in molecular biology and biochemistry include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, laboratory skills, and the ability to work with complex scientific concepts and data.

4. What are the job opportunities for someone with a background in molecular biology and biochemistry?

Individuals with a background in molecular biology and biochemistry have a wide range of job opportunities, including research positions in academia, industry, and government, as well as roles in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and healthcare.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements in the fields of molecular biology and biochemistry?

You can stay updated on advancements in these fields by regularly reading scientific journals and publications, attending conferences and seminars, and networking with professionals in the field. Additionally, following reputable organizations and experts on social media can also provide valuable insights and updates.