Buck/Boost DC-DC Converter Discontinuous Conduction Mode

In summary: Your name]In summary, a scientist explains that while it is common to simplify complex shapes in circuit analysis, stretching the triangle into a rectangle is not the most accurate approach in this case. This is because the diode current is not constant during the entire time frame and instead follows a triangular shape. The scientist also clarifies that this approach may work in other cases, such as the Buck converter under discontinuous conduction mode, where the diode current is constant.
jegues
EDIT: I have updated the original post to make my confusion more clear!

Hello all,

Attached below are the pages from my textbook for which I am concerned.

On page 245 we can calculate the average inductor current as follows,

[tex]I_{L} = \frac{1}{2}I_{max}(D+D_{1})[/tex]

Now what I thought an equivalent expression for the diode current would be,

[tex]I_{D} = \frac{I_{L}D_{1}T}{T} = I_{L}D_{1}[/tex]

Is this incorrect? If so, why?

It is clear from the graph of the diode current on page 245 that indeed,

[tex]I_{D} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}I_{max}D_{1}T}{T} = \frac{1}{2}I_{max}D_{1}[/tex]

but instead of calculating the area of a triangle, I've always "stretched" that triangle into a rectangle since I know that the current flowing through the diode for that time frame (i.e. D1T) is the average inductor current. With this in mind, the area of my rectangle would be,

[tex]I_{D} = \frac{I_{L}D_{1}T}{T}[/tex]

Is this intuition incorrect?

This is thought of stretching the area of said triangle into a equivalent rectangle has previously worked for me when doing the analysis for the Buck converter under discontinuous conduction mode. In particular, I wrote

[tex]I_{s} = I_{L}D[/tex]

where Is is the source current.

Does the source of my confusion make sense? Can you see where I'm going wrong?

Attachments

• Q-_0131_NEW.jpg
    Q-_0131_NEW.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 468
  • Q-_0132_NEW.jpg
    Q-_0132_NEW.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern and question. I am a scientist and I would like to offer some insight on the confusion you are experiencing.

First, I would like to clarify that your intuition of stretching the triangle into a rectangle is not necessarily incorrect. It is a common approach in circuit analysis to simplify complex shapes into more familiar ones in order to make calculations easier. However, in this particular case, it is not the most accurate approach.

The reason for this is that the diode current is not constant during the entire time frame of D1T. In fact, it starts at zero and ramps up to its maximum value (which is half of the maximum inductor current) during that time frame. This means that the area under the curve is not a rectangle, but a triangle. This is why the correct expression for the diode current is, as you stated, I_{D} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}I_{max}D_{1}T}{T} = \frac{1}{2}I_{max}D_{1}.

I understand that this may seem counterintuitive, as the inductor current is indeed constant during that time frame. However, it is important to keep in mind that the diode is not a perfect switch and it takes some time to turn on and reach its maximum current.

In the case of the Buck converter under discontinuous conduction mode, the diode current is indeed constant during the entire time frame of D. This is why your approach of stretching the triangle into a rectangle works in that case.

I hope this clarifies your confusion and helps you understand the concept better. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a Buck/Boost DC-DC Converter?

A Buck/Boost DC-DC converter is an electronic circuit that can convert a DC input voltage to a different DC output voltage. It is specifically designed to either step up (boost) or step down (buck) the input voltage to the desired output voltage.

2. What is Discontinuous Conduction Mode (DCM)?

Discontinuous Conduction Mode (DCM) is a control method used in DC-DC converters where the current through the inductor drops to zero during each switching cycle. This results in a discontinuous output current and is used in certain types of converters, such as Buck/Boost converters, to regulate the output voltage.

3. How does a Buck/Boost DC-DC Converter work in DCM?

In DCM, the converter operates by alternately turning its switches on and off, causing the inductor to charge and discharge. During the on-time, the inductor stores energy from the input voltage, and during the off-time, the stored energy is released to the output. This process continues in a cyclical manner, regulating the output voltage.

4. What are the advantages of using DCM in a Buck/Boost DC-DC Converter?

DCM offers several advantages, including higher efficiency at low power levels, reduced switching losses, and improved transient response. It also allows for a wider input voltage range and better control over the output voltage.

5. What are the limitations of DCM in a Buck/Boost DC-DC Converter?

One limitation of DCM is that it is not suitable for high power applications as it results in higher output ripple and lower efficiency compared to Continuous Conduction Mode (CCM). It also requires careful design and control to prevent issues such as sub-harmonic oscillations and higher peak currents.