Scaling factor of a simple pendulum between length and time period.

In summary, the time period of a simple pendulum is doubled when the length of the pendulum is increased by 3.0m.
mrcotton

Homework Statement

The time period of a simple pendulum is doubled when the length of the pendulum is increased by 3.0m. What is the original length of the pendulum?

Homework Equations

T= 2∏√(l/g)
also l is original length and l+3 is the new length

The Attempt at a Solution

So
2T=2(2∏√(l/g)
2T=2∏√(4l/g)
The new length is 4 times the original length and it also has to be the original length plus 3m.
∴ 4l=l+3
so l=1m

I am happy with the mathematical steps, and it gives me the correct answer.
It is the reason why I can do this I could do with some guidance on.
Is it because when I double T the only thing that could change is the length?
Therefore I can put the multiplying factor of 2 inside the sqrt as 4×l.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mrcotton! :wink:
mrcotton said:
It is the reason why I can do this I could do with some guidance on.
Is it because when I double T the only thing that could change is the length?
Therefore I can put the multiplying factor of 2 inside the sqrt as 4×l.

yes, that's exactly right …

T = 2π√(l/g) means that T is proportional to √l, so twice T means 4 times l (if everything else is the same) :smile:

(and your proof is completely correct)

What you did is fine. But you were lucky to have been able to sneak the "2" inside the square root sign so easily to make 4.

I would have said

T = 2π√(l/g)
2T = 2π√[(l+3)/g]
so 2 = √[(l+3)/l]
& solve for l.

isn't that the same?

Thanks ever so much for the help with getting my old grey matter working.
So in general I can solve it like this.
Q85_zps9e5c662b.jpg

Did the sqrt of 4 only work for those values.
I tried doing the calculation both ways for a pendulum that's time period has tripled when the original length is extended by 6m and got the same results.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit severe here ... did you try for new l = 1.73l? This is a very trivial point, should probably not even have raised it.

Hi Rude man, please I like the trivial points. Its the pedantic points in physics that make it interesting to me. Each physics question seems to open up more questions.

mrcotton said:
Hi Rude man, please I like the trivial points. Its the pedantic points in physics that make it interesting to me. Each physics question seems to open up more questions.

OK I got plenty of those ... :smile:

1. What is the scaling factor of a simple pendulum between length and time period?

The scaling factor of a simple pendulum between length and time period is the ratio of the square root of the length of the pendulum to the time period of one complete oscillation. It is represented by the symbol "k" and is approximately equal to 2π.

2. How is the scaling factor calculated?

The scaling factor can be calculated using the formula: k = 2π * √(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from the equation for the period of a simple pendulum: T = 2π * √(L/g).

3. What is the significance of the scaling factor in a simple pendulum?

The scaling factor is important in a simple pendulum because it helps to determine the relationship between the length of the pendulum and its time period. It shows that the time period is directly proportional to the square root of the length, and helps to make accurate predictions about the behavior of a pendulum.

4. How does the scaling factor affect the time period of a simple pendulum?

The scaling factor has a direct impact on the time period of a simple pendulum. As the length of the pendulum increases, the scaling factor also increases, resulting in a longer time period. Similarly, as the length decreases, the scaling factor decreases and the time period becomes shorter.

5. Is the scaling factor affected by other factors besides length?

Yes, the scaling factor can also be affected by the mass of the pendulum, as well as the angle of its swing. However, for small angles and a constant mass, the effect of these factors on the scaling factor is minimal and can be approximated by considering only the length of the pendulum.