Mass of orbiting body calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of an orbiting body using the formula M = 4 * PI^2 * r^3 / ( G * T^2 ) and the mistakes made in the process. It is mentioned that this formula calculates the mass of the central object being orbited, not the orbiting body. The conversation also touches on the possibility of calculating the mass of an orbiting body without a moon or other object to orbit around. Finally, it is noted that there are exceptions to the general rule of larger objects having larger orbits.
gtsinc
Ok, so I am tryting to calcualte the mass of an orbiting body.

I am using M = 4 * PI^2 * r^3 / ( G * T^2 )

Lets use the Earth as an example.
However I am not getting what Nasa has for answers of 5.9 E24 kg.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/earthfact.html

Using this calculator: http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpgravity/keplers_law_equation_mass.php

I am using a Radius of 149,600,000,000 meters
Ref: Semimajor axis (106 km) 149.60

Period of 365.25 or 365.25*24*24 = 31,557,600 seconds

G = 6.67E-11 N-m^2 / kg^2

That calculator gets 1.98 E+21 kg. Not even close to 5.9E+24
I get 1.98E+30 because I am using meters. But still not matching 5.9E+24

Can someone help with my math - not sure what is wrong.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You've made at least two mistakes. First, this formula will give you the mass of the central object being orbited around, not of the orbiting body. In this case, you are calculating the mass of the Sun, not the Earth. If the central body is much more massive than the satellite (which is the case here), the orbital parameters are independent of the mass of the satellite. You should review how that formula is derived. Second, you must have plugged in the numbers wrong. If you do it right, it will correctly give you the mass of the Sun.

Ok, so I did have the mass of the sun calculated correctly as 1.98 E+30 but I was thinking of the orbiting body.

It has been years since I did this math.

What formula would I use?

What formula would you use for what? You used the right formula to calculate the mass of the Sun. You can't calculate the mass of the Earth from the parameters of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. If you want to calculate the mass of the Earth, you need to use something orbiting the Earth. Is that your question?

Sorry, yes, that was my question.
I wanted to calcualte the weight of an orbiting body knowing its period and radius.

So if the body in question does not have a moon how else would it be calculated?

If the orbiting body is small compared to the body being orbited, there is no way to calculate the mass of the orbiting body from its period and radius. Look at the equations - the mass of the orbiting body cancels out. This means that objects of different mass follow the same orbit.

Now I understand - thank you.

So what would prevent a large planet like Jupiter from having an orbit as small as Mercury?

gtsinc said:

So what would prevent a large planet like Jupiter from having an orbit as small as Mercury?
I'm guessing you haven't heard of Hot Jupiters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter

gtsinc said:

Nothing. As Bandersnatch points out, planets like this exist. Conversely, there are asteroids much smaller than Mercury in orbits like Jupiter's.

1. How is the mass of an orbiting body calculated?

The mass of an orbiting body is calculated using the formula M = (4π²r³)/GT², where M is the mass of the orbiting body, r is the distance from the center of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period.

2. What is the significance of calculating the mass of an orbiting body?

Calculating the mass of an orbiting body is important for understanding the dynamics of the orbit and the forces at play. It can also provide information about the composition and structure of the body itself.

3. How is the mass of an orbiting body affected by its distance from the object it is orbiting?

The mass of an orbiting body is inversely proportional to the square of its distance from the object it is orbiting. This means that as the distance increases, the mass decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

4. Can the mass of an orbiting body change over time?

Yes, the mass of an orbiting body can change over time. This can be due to factors such as the body gaining or losing mass through collisions or accretion, or the body losing mass through processes such as evaporation or outgassing.

5. How does the mass of an orbiting body affect its orbital path?

The mass of an orbiting body affects its orbital path through gravity. A larger mass will have a stronger gravitational pull, causing a smaller body to orbit faster and closer, while a smaller mass will have a weaker pull, causing a larger body to orbit slower and further away.