Alternative Light Curtains , has someone designed them?

• Thread starter SiyumLeisho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation is about alternative "light curtains" that use light interference to block or dim light instead of physical objects. The original poster is wondering if such a machine exists or if it would be possible to create one. The purpose of this machine would be for safety, similar to traditional light curtains used in machinery. It is suggested that the use of lasers or fringing effects could potentially achieve this effect.
SiyumLeisho
Alternative "Light Curtains", has someone designed them?

I know that light curtains are generally known as an aligned collection of light beams that stop/enable a machine when such beams are blocked by a physical object. The "light curtains" that I am thinking is a machine(s) which blocks/dims light through interference. I am wondering whether such machine exists yet (and yes, I know that curtains do the job but that is not the thing I am looking for). And if it does, where can I look for one? If it doesn't, would it be possible to make one? I am thinking of coupling an interferometer with an array of visible light lasers...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of using light to reduce the amount of light through an aperture (i.e. a window?)
I suppose, in principle, one could sample incoming light and project an inverted signal to reduce it's intensity in the room, a bit like how noise reducers work, but I don't think it's practical: good luck.

If I understand correctly, he's talking about a safety system - if a person reaches through the light curtain, they block some of the light, so the machine knows there's a hazard, and stops operation. These are used with machinery, where an operator reaching into the machine would create a safety hazard if the machine continues to operate.

I've seen a few varieties of them, mostly using low power lasers. It's not all that complicated - basically an array of photosensors, each with its own light source. SiyumLeisho, what are you looking to do differently, that the basic sort of light curtain won't do the trick?

StrayCatalyst said:
If I understand correctly, he's talking about a safety system - if a person reaches through the light curtain, they block some of the light, so the machine knows there's a hazard, and stops operation. These are used with machinery, where an operator reaching into the machine would create a safety hazard if the machine continues to operate.
That was my first thought - but OP mentions this sort of device in post #1 (1st 2 sentences) as something he is not talking about.
We await clarification... :)

Since you refer to interference - I am thinking you are talking about the wave properties of lasers, requiring coherent light. I do not think ( i may be wrong) that typical lasers have precise enough wave generation to have stable interference between the light of 2 different lasers. The slightest difference in frequency would make it unusable - for interference experiments I have always seen this done with a single laser and beam splitting.

The question seems to be about a mechanism for creating the effect of a blockage of the light curtain in the absence of an actual obstruction. I see no obvious purpose, but if such a mechanism were to be created, one approach, as has been previously noted, would work only if the light used had a coherent source (e.g. a laser) which would be split the beam to create an out of phase stream impinging on the sensor. The only other thoght that comes to mind would be fringing effects, but that doesn't have any obvious advantage over obstruction.

Last edited:

1. What are alternative light curtains?

Alternative light curtains are a type of safety device that uses beams of light to detect when an object or person enters a protected area. They are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings to prevent accidents and injuries.

2. How do alternative light curtains work?

Alternative light curtains work by emitting beams of light between a transmitter and receiver unit. When an object or person enters the protected area, it interrupts the beams of light, triggering the curtains to stop a machine or process from functioning.

3. What are the advantages of alternative light curtains compared to traditional safety curtains?

Alternative light curtains offer several advantages over traditional safety curtains, including a faster response time, greater flexibility in installation and setup, and the ability to detect smaller objects and body parts.

4. Has someone designed alternative light curtains before?

Yes, there are several companies that have designed and manufactured alternative light curtains for industrial use. These curtains are constantly being improved and updated to meet the changing safety needs of different industries.

5. Are alternative light curtains reliable for safety purposes?

Yes, alternative light curtains are considered to be highly reliable for safety purposes when properly installed and maintained. They undergo rigorous testing and meet safety standards set by organizations such as OSHA and ANSI.