Electrolysis of water to make transporting easier

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of setting up a new town in the middle of the Australian desert and the idea of using hydrogen and oxygen gas as a means of transporting water to the site. The viability of this method is questioned and factors such as cost and efficiency are mentioned. It is also noted that water is a more practical option for transportation, but may not be suitable for a large city. The efficiency of electricity lines is also mentioned.
nige1234
Hello All,

Let us say I want to set up a nice new town in middle of Australia (it is all desert), 500km from the coast, and 1000km from the closest fresh water.
1, I need to desalinate the sea water.
2, I need to transport that water to the site.
3, I need to run power to the site.

Is there a better way such as the below?
1, Convert sea water to Hydrogen and Oxygen gas via electrolysis. (And lots of power)
2, Pump the gases over the long distance.
3, Use a fuel cell to convert gases back to drinkable water. Possibly storing the gases for later use, much like a battery
4, Harness electricity from the fuel cell.

So my questions are:
1, Would this EVER be the best way?
2, What factors would need to be met for it to be a real option?
3, Is pumping a gas in this case better than pumping as a liquid?

Hope you can help me think this through.

Regards, Andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
Water is way easier to transport than hydrogen(+oxygen). You could just transport hydrogen, of course, but water is really easier to do - it has a high density, so the pipes can be smaller. In addition, water cannot xplode and diffusion through the pipes is negligible.
This assumes that you want to build a really large city. For a small city, you don't need such a long pipeline, trucks plus a good water management are probably cheaper.

I guess electricity lines have a better efficiency than electrolysis.

Now all you have to do is convince people to move to the middle of nowhere.

1. How does electrolysis of water work?

Electrolysis of water involves passing an electric current through water, which causes the water molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen atoms. This process is known as electrolysis, and it occurs at the electrodes, which are typically made of a conductive material such as platinum or graphite.

2. What is the purpose of using electrolysis to make transporting easier?

The purpose of using electrolysis to make transporting easier is to produce hydrogen gas, which can be used as a clean and efficient fuel source for transportation. Hydrogen can be easily stored and transported in containers, making it a viable alternative to traditional fossil fuels.

3. What are the benefits of using hydrogen as a transportation fuel?

Hydrogen is a clean and renewable fuel source, meaning it does not produce harmful emissions when burned. It also has a high energy density, meaning it can provide more energy per unit of weight compared to other fuels. Additionally, hydrogen fuel cells have a longer lifespan than traditional batteries, making them a more sustainable option for transportation.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using electrolysis for hydrogen production?

One potential drawback of using electrolysis for hydrogen production is the high energy input required. It takes a significant amount of electricity to split water molecules, which could come from non-renewable sources and contribute to carbon emissions. Additionally, the infrastructure for hydrogen fueling stations is still limited, making it less convenient for drivers to use as a transportation fuel.

5. Are there any advancements being made in electrolysis technology for hydrogen production?

Yes, there are ongoing advancements in electrolysis technology for hydrogen production. Researchers are working on developing more efficient and cost-effective methods, such as using renewable energy sources like solar or wind power to supply the necessary electricity. Other advancements include the use of new catalysts and materials for the electrodes to improve the efficiency of the electrolysis process.