Mechanical Engineering vs. Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the main differences between Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering are that Aerospace focuses more on the practical applications of engineering while Mechanical Engineering is more general. Universities now offer a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering major which allows students to choose from a variety of different classes to specialize in.
Grave9
Hello all,
Hopefully you can shed some light on this for me. Currently I'm attending college for Mechanical Engineering but I'm not sure if this is the branch of engineering I want to go down.

What are the main differences of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering?

What would make you choose one over the other in your opinion? I love mechanical things, but then I love aeonautics too, I'm stuck in the middle. :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really answer your question, but don't universities now offer mechanical and aerospace engineering as a double major? (I know http://www.uq.edu.au does)
If I understand correctly, you could take on both at once and drop aerospace if you don't like it.
And if I'm not wrong, isn't aerospace engineering applied mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering with a certain context? Or am I very wrong in thinking so?

I can remember someone from this forum stated that they switched from aerospace to mechanical becuase the math is harder in aerospace.

Last edited:
Pseudo Static is pretty much right on. Neither is harder. They're just different. The math is the same no matter what you are doing. One might have difficulties with concepts, but the math is the same. ME is a more general field so you get exposure to a lot of things that can be encompassed in AE as well.

If your University has an AE degree just take a look at the classes required for graduation.

I don't know much about AE, but ME has lots of different topics you can choose from. Like only in thermal fluid, there are turbomachinery, HVAC, thermal management.

I think AE has a bit narrow applications, and ME can be applied to many areas.

I've decided to go with Aerospace because that's what I really want to do. As for the math, I don't care if I have to take the hardest math out there. I love math.

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This can include anything from machines and engines to medical devices and consumer products. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, specifically deals with the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems.

Which field has better job prospects: Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

Both fields have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Mechanical engineers have a wide range of industries to work in, including automotive, manufacturing, and energy. Aerospace engineers typically work in the aerospace industry, but they may also find opportunities in defense, government, and research organizations.

Is the coursework for Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering similar?

While there may be some overlap in coursework, the two fields have distinct focuses and therefore have different classes and requirements. Mechanical engineering students will take classes in areas such as mechanics, materials, and thermodynamics, while aerospace engineering students will take classes in aerodynamics, propulsion, and flight dynamics.

Which field has a higher salary potential: Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for mechanical engineers in 2020 was $90,160, while aerospace engineers had a median annual salary of $118,610. However, salaries can vary greatly depending on location, industry, and experience.

Can I switch from Mechanical Engineering to Aerospace Engineering or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from one field to the other, but it may require additional coursework or training. Mechanical engineers who want to transition into aerospace engineering may need to take classes in areas such as aerodynamics and aerospace materials. Similarly, aerospace engineers interested in mechanical engineering may need to take classes in areas such as mechanics and materials science.