Master's in electrical engineering after bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

In summary: I'll definitely be talking with my advisor about this. In summary, it is possible to get into a master's program for electrical engineering after completing a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering if you take some EE-like technical electives.
Hyperfluxe
Hello,

Is it possible to get into master's program for electrical engineering (in North America) after completing a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering? The reason being is that I plan to pursue a bachelor's in mechanical engineering because that's the 'safe' degree for where I live (Calgary, AB - it's all about oil & gas), but mechanical engineering is my second preference next to electrical engineering.

I know that out of pure interest, I would prefer EE (but that's not to say that I dislike ME, just not as much as EE), but the fields that I am interested in (high technology and communications) are very dead in Calgary. I have absolutely no interest to work in power. I just want to know that if I were to take some EE-like technical electives with my ME degree (ie. mechatronics), would I be able to get into a master's program for EE? I would most likely specialize in something like photonics for my masters, or anything related to high technology.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is possible. I know a couple, personally (at the University of Saskatchewan). Note, however, you will most likely be at a disadvantage and may need some additional undergraduate knowledge in circuits to be able to do so. I would think that this would be dependent on who ever takes you on, given you find someone that will.

Hyperfluxe said:
Hello,

Is it possible to get into master's program for electrical engineering (in North America) after completing a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering? The reason being is that I plan to pursue a bachelor's in mechanical engineering because that's the 'safe' degree for where I live (Calgary, AB - it's all about oil & gas), but mechanical engineering is my second preference next to electrical engineering.

I know that out of pure interest, I would prefer EE (but that's not to say that I dislike ME, just not as much as EE), but the fields that I am interested in (high technology and communications) are very dead in Calgary. I have absolutely no interest to work in power. I just want to know that if I were to take some EE-like technical electives with my ME degree (ie. mechatronics), would I be able to get into a master's program for EE? I would most likely specialize in something like photonics for my masters, or anything related to high technology.

Thank you!
I know a guy who's doing this, he got interested in solid state devices and electronic materials so he took introductory courses in these along with some circuits, electronics, and signals. I know another guy who did the reverse and after statics, dynamics, material science, and mechanics of materials he was able to enter a master in mechanical engineering after his major in electrical.

Hyperfluxe said:
Hello,

Thank you!

If you are in North America, it is likely that you will have between 3-6 electives as part of your requirements for the BSME. I would use each of these opportunities to take courses from the EE department if possible. Discuss this with your advisor as you may need to 'petition for' these classes since they may be considered outside your major. Good luck, this sounds like fun! :smile:

Thanks for the replies!

1. What is the difference between a master's in electrical engineering and a bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

A master's in electrical engineering is a graduate-level degree focused on the study of electrical systems, electronics, and electromagnetism. In contrast, a bachelor's in mechanical engineering is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of mechanical systems, machines, and physical forces. While there may be some overlap in certain areas, the two fields are distinct in their subject matter and level of education.

2. Can I pursue a master's in electrical engineering after getting a bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a master's in electrical engineering after obtaining a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. Many universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses to help students with a non-related undergraduate degree transition into a master's program in a different field. However, it is important to note that a strong background in math and physics is usually required for a successful transition.

3. What career opportunities are available with a master's in electrical engineering after a bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

With a master's in electrical engineering, you can pursue a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in power systems, telecommunication, computer engineering, and renewable energy. You may also have the option to work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, or manufacturing, where knowledge of both mechanical and electrical engineering can be beneficial.

4. How long does it take to complete a master's in electrical engineering after a bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

The time to complete a master's in electrical engineering after a bachelor's in mechanical engineering can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. On average, it takes about two years to complete a master's degree, but some programs may offer accelerated options for students who have completed relevant coursework in their undergraduate studies.

5. Do I need to have a strong background in electrical engineering to succeed in a master's program after a bachelor's in mechanical engineering?

While a strong background in electrical engineering can be helpful, it is not always necessary for success in a master's program after a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. Many programs offer prerequisite courses or bridge programs to help students with a non-related undergraduate degree catch up on necessary knowledge. Additionally, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to learn, can also contribute to success in the program.