Mean Curvature at Extremum Points on a Closed Surface

In summary: But it's not clear how this would imply the sign of the mean curvature at the farthest point.In summary, it seems that the mean curvature at the farthest point on a close surface from the origin must have a definite sign.
hedipaldi
Hi,
I know that the mean curvature at an extremum point where the function vanishes must be nonpositive.can this say something about the sign of the mean curvature at the farthest point on a close surface from the origin?
Thank's
Hedi

Physics news on Phys.org
hedipaldi said:
Hi,
I know that the mean curvature at an extremum point where the function vanishes must be nonpositive.can this say something about the sign of the mean curvature at the farthest point on a close surface from the origin?
Thank's
Hedi

You need to explain what you are talking about more clearly. What function?

I mean a real smooth function of two variables whose graph is a closed surface in R3

hedipaldi said:
I mean a real smooth function of two variables whose graph is a closed surface in R3

so you mean the mean curvature of the graph?

Isn't the mean curvature of the standard sphere strictly positive - in fact for any surface of positive Gauss curvature?

There is a therem that says that any closed surface in 3 space must have a point of positive Gauss curvature. At this point the mean curvature is positive.

Last edited:
But Gauss curvature is positive also if the two principal curvatures are negative.at the farthest point from the origin, the surface is enclosed within a ball whose boundary shares a common tangent plane with the surface at this point.It seems that this implies that the mean curvature of the surface at this point must have a definite sign.I don't know what sign and how to explain it.

hedipaldi said:
But Gauss curvature is positive also if the two principal curvatures are negative.at the farthest point from the origin, the surface is enclosed within a ball whose boundary shares a common tangent plane with the surface at this point.It seems that this implies that the mean curvature of the surface at this point must have a definite sign.I don't know what sign and how to explain it.

right. My mistake. But for a sphere or an ellipsoid or any convex surface of positive curvature, the principal curvatures should both be positive. Yes?.

I am having trouble visualizing the case of both negative principal curvatures. May it can happen at a single point but in a region?can you give an example?

The surface must be convex at the farthest point so if this forces positive mean corvature'we are done,but i am not sure of it.

At a saddle point Gauss curvature is negative so one of the principal directions is negative.this may help for imagining a negative principal direction.

hedipaldi said:
At a saddle point Gauss curvature is negative so one of the principal directions is negative.this may help for imagining a negative principal direction.

Ok. Now I see what your question is.

A classical argument says - surround the surface with a very large sphere centered at the origin and let it's radius shrink until it first touches the surface.At this point the surface and the sphere are tangent and the entire surface lies on the inside of the sphere. Therefore the surface must be convex at this point.

Right.Doed it implies something about the sign of the mean curvature at the farthest point?

hedipaldi said:
Right.Doed it implies something about the sign of the mean curvature at the farthest point?

I think so. In order for the surface to be tangent it must curve away from the surrounding sphere in all directions so the principal curvatures must both be positive.

Last edited:

1. What is mean curvature at extremum points on a closed surface?

The mean curvature at extremum points on a closed surface refers to the average curvature at points where the surface reaches its highest or lowest points. It is a measure of how the surface curves at these extreme points.

2. How is mean curvature at extremum points calculated?

The mean curvature at extremum points is calculated by taking the average of the principal curvatures at these points. This can be done using the Gaussian curvature or the normal curvature, which are both measures of the curvature at a point on a surface.

3. What is the significance of mean curvature at extremum points?

Mean curvature at extremum points is important in the study of surfaces, as it can provide information about the shape and curvature of the surface. It is also used in various applications such as computer graphics, computer-aided design, and physical modeling.

4. Can mean curvature at extremum points be negative?

Yes, mean curvature at extremum points can be negative. This means that the surface is curving in a concave manner at these points. A positive mean curvature indicates a convex curvature at these points.

5. How is mean curvature at extremum points related to the shape of a surface?

The mean curvature at extremum points is directly related to the shape of a surface. A high mean curvature indicates a sharp change in the surface's curvature, while a low mean curvature indicates a flatter surface. This information can help determine the overall shape of the surface.