Calculate the speed of the particle

In summary, a simple pendulum consists of an object suspended by a string, with the top end fixed and negligible mass. In the absence of air friction, the system oscillates in a vertical plane. Using conservation of energy, the speed of the particle can be calculated at different positions. At the lowest point in its trajectory, the speed is equal to the maximum speed of the particle. When the angle is 15.0°, the speed can be calculated using the initial angle and length of the string. The formula for this calculation is not provided, but it is suggested to use conservation of energy. Additionally, the use of ac = V^2/r is not successful in this scenario.
mkwok
A simple pendulum, consists of an object suspended by a string. The object is assumed to be a particle. The string, with its top end fixed, has negligible mass and does not stretch. In the absence of air friction, the system oscillates by swinging back and forth in a vertical plane. If the string is 2.70 m long and makes an initial angle of 30.5° with the vertical, calculate the speed of the particle at the following positions.

(a) at the lowest point in its trajectory

(b) when the angle is 15.0°

I thought I could use ac = V^2/r.. but I got the wrong answers
anyone have any hints for me on what I use for formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy (gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy). Take the bottom position as your reference point.

In free space, umm it doesn't.

You have a hypothetical string of no mass in with a hypothetical end point. Are we to assume it is in a hypothetical Earth gravity or some other space?

1. How do you calculate the speed of a particle?

The speed of a particle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation speed = distance/time.

2. What units are used to measure the speed of a particle?

The most common units used to measure the speed of a particle are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. Can you calculate the speed of a particle if you only know its position?

No, the speed of a particle cannot be determined solely based on its position. The speed also depends on the time it takes to travel that distance.

4. How is the speed of a particle different from its velocity?

The speed of a particle is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

5. How does the speed of a particle change over time?

The speed of a particle can change over time if there is a change in its distance or time traveled. This can be due to factors such as acceleration, deceleration, or changes in direction.