Unlocking the Secrets of Simple Physics: 2 Problem Solutions Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: 1) the reason for bending legs while running and 2) strategy for tearing paper with one hand and whether there are circumstances where it wouldn't work. The first problem involves the need for an upward force while running, while the second problem is difficult to explain without giving away the answer.
lusterjester
I have 2 problems.
1) When you run you do not keep your legs striaght, but rather bend them. What is the reason?

2) Assume you are an athelte, and you believe you can tear paper with just one hand? what is the best stragety? list the components of your strategy stated in terms of physics princples. Will there, in theory at least, ever be a set of circumstances in which will not allow you to use one hand without winding up with paper all over the floor? explain.

No equations

Im believing the first question is about your body needing an upward force in order to move correctly and the second one I am completely lost - _ -

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If you kept your legs straight, would it be easy to propel yourself in the horizontal direction?

2) I suggest trying to tear paper with one hand and list what you think works, that way someone can explain/help you with translating what you intuitively know into physics language. Might just be me, but I'm finding it difficult to help with this question without just giving you the answer.

1) The reason for bending your legs while running is to increase your speed and efficiency. When you bend your legs, you are essentially creating a spring-like mechanism that stores energy when you land and releases it when you push off. This allows for a more powerful and efficient stride, allowing you to run faster and for longer periods of time. Additionally, bending your legs also helps to absorb shock and prevent injury to your joints.

2) The best strategy for tearing paper with one hand would involve utilizing the principles of force and leverage. First, you would need to grip the paper firmly with your hand, creating a strong force between your hand and the paper. Then, you would need to use your fingers and wrist to create a twisting or tearing motion, applying a force to the paper in a specific direction. This force, combined with the leverage created by your grip, would allow you to tear the paper with one hand.

In theory, there could be circumstances where tearing paper with one hand may not be possible. For example, if the paper is too thick or strong, or if your hand is injured or unable to create enough force. However, these circumstances may vary depending on the individual's strength and the specific paper being used.

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The mass of an object remains the same regardless of location, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity. For example, an object would weigh less on the moon than on Earth due to the weaker gravitational pull on the moon.

2. How do I calculate the force of an object?

The force of an object can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion. Force is measured in Newtons (N), mass in kilograms (kg), and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while speed is simply a measure of how fast an object is moving. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

4. How do I calculate the force of gravity?

The force of gravity can be calculated using the formula F=mg, where F is force, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The value of g is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth, but can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. For example, a ball rolling down a hill has both kinetic and potential energy, as it has motion and is at a higher position than when it reaches the bottom of the hill.