Would anything change electric charges could be complex numbers?

In summary, electrical charges that are neither positive nor negative have been theorized, but they have not yet been observed in an experiment.
Nick Kelly
Consider an Argand diagram that shows the number line (positive and negative) and the imaginary plane of other possibilities.

As in, we have numbers that are positive and negative, and through complex numbers all of the polarities in between.

I am using this as an analogy, because we have experimentally observed particles and antiparticles; mass with positive and negative charges.

Can anybody point me in the direction of work that has theorized the possibility of electrical charges that are neither positive nor negative, but rather values in-between?

Either that or perhaps explain why it isn't possible?

Conceptually this seems to be a perfect fit with Klein's notion of dimensions wrapped up within our three dimensions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric charge is either positive or negative. That's the way it is.

mathman said:
Electric charge is either positive or negative. That's the way it is.

Thank you, but is it valid to ask why it's just the way it is?

I mean, obviously there is no point inventing possibilities for the sake of it; and I know that we have only ever observed positive or negative charges.

My question is really: if you take on the theoretical possibility of charges that are neither positive nor negative; then isn't it useful for changing the equations of QED to account for some of the features that are still problematic?

I am still trying to get my head around the physics, which is why I wanted to post to the forum to see if anybody could help out with this thinking, but I suspect that I need to make the ideas a lot clearer before that point.

QED does not permit complex charges, only real ones. You would need to develop an entirely different theory with different equations.

Thank you, I shall begin taking the requisite steps to address the deep chasms of my naivete so that I can take this on as a serious problem.

1. What are complex numbers and how are they related to electric charges?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real and an imaginary part. They are often used in mathematical equations to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as electric charges. In the context of electric charges, complex numbers are used to represent the phase of the charge, which is the direction of the electrical field associated with the charge.

2. How would using complex numbers change our understanding of electric charges?

Using complex numbers to represent electric charges would allow us to better understand the behavior and interactions of charges. This is because complex numbers can represent both the magnitude and direction of a charge, whereas traditional real numbers only represent magnitude. This would provide a more complete description of the charge and its effects.

3. Would using complex numbers change the laws of electricity?

No, using complex numbers to represent electric charges would not change the fundamental laws of electricity. These laws, such as Coulomb's Law, would still hold true. However, using complex numbers may provide a more precise and comprehensive way of describing these laws and the behavior of electric charges.

4. Are there any practical applications for using complex numbers in the study of electric charges?

Yes, there are several practical applications for using complex numbers in the study of electric charges. For example, complex numbers are used in the analysis of AC circuits and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, including electric charges.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using complex numbers in the study of electric charges?

One limitation of using complex numbers is that they are more difficult to visualize and understand compared to real numbers. This may make it challenging for students and researchers to grasp the concept and apply it in their studies. Additionally, the use of complex numbers may require more advanced mathematical skills and techniques, which can also be a challenge for some individuals.