Why does my cat meow a lot after she catches a prey?

• Thread starter Khichdi lover
  • Start date
In summary: Occasionally one of them will let me have a morsel, but only if I meow loudly and beg for it. This must be why my meows are now so prolonged and enthusiastic- I am trying to get their attention so that I may be given my favourite food. Despite my best efforts, I am slowly losing weight...and I feel weak and listless. I must continue to bide my time and hope for a chance to escape. In summary, the white cat in our apartment is semi-domesticated and prefers to eat cat food. However, she will bring home dead prey to share with her owners, and will do this more frequently
Khichdi lover
I've a white cat. She is semi-domesticated, i.e she spends half of her time inside our house and half of her time roaming outside.She visits our apartment on the 5th floor of the building. Whenever she catches a prey be it a rat or a pigeon , she has a tendency to meow a lot in front of us. She meows a lot more than usual ,after she has caught a prey. Is this behavior common in cats. And does anybody know ,whether there is a reason behind it.
She also tosses the dead body of her prey around and seems to be playing with it before getting down to eat it.

Here's an image , perhaps that could help find an answer to my query. :biggrin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=40756&stc=1&d=1320697124.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 7,768
Physics news on Phys.org
What a cutie! She may just want to be praised for the kill.

Evo said:
What a cutie! She may just want to be praised for the kill.

Or is it because she wants to share food with us ? Give-and-take, maybe ? We give her cat-food ,so on occasion , when she brings home food, she maybe wanting us to have a bite or two.
How do cats view their owners is a question that props up in my mind. Cats in the wild are solitary animals. So question of sharing food with other cats is out of the question. But cats do share food with their dependent kittens. So do the cats view their owners in ways similar to how they view their kittens ? Or am I being just too optimistic about getting to share kill with the cat. Maybe, all she wants is praise as you pointed out.

Khichdi lover said:
Or is it because she wants to share food with us ? Give-and-take, maybe ? We give her cat-food ,so on occasion , when she brings home food, she maybe wanting us to have a bite or two.
How do cats view their owners is a question that props up in my mind. Cats in the wild are solitary animals. So question of sharing food with other cats is out of the question. But cats do share food with their dependent kittens. So do the cats view their owners in ways similar to how they view their kittens ? Or am I being just too optimistic about getting to share kill with the cat. Maybe, all she wants is praise as you pointed out.
You are correct, they do treat owners like kittens.

The mother cat teaches her kittens to kill to eat. Her first lesson consists of bringing home dead prey and consuming it in front of the kittens. Soon they learn to join in. At the end of this stage, she brings the dead prey home and leaves it for the kittens to eat on their own. Cats will not only do this for their own litter, but for another cat's kittens as well. Many cats (especially spayed females) will provide this lesson to their human owners. Thus, bringing home dead prey and dropping it at our feet.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/help3.html

Haha, you're supposed to join in with the treat! :biggrin:

Monique said:
Haha, you're supposed to join in with the treat! :biggrin:
:yuck:

Evo said:

Wow, thanks for fishing out this piece of info. I was looking for something like this.
Now I will try and develop a taste for pigeons , rats and not to mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_House_Gecko" [Broken].

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Water.

You mean, she wants water?
Don't you think the other explanation is more fascinating than this ,i.e that she wants us to share food with her?

Well, this question can be answered after your kitten's next prey. :biggrin:

The cat wants to blackmail you. So what it does is it kills an animal and bring it to their owners to scare them. The cat is actually saying: "watch out, hooman, or this will happen to you! Now give me decent food."

To reinforce my previous post:

Evo said:
I love this.

As seen in a dog's diary:

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite!

8 am- Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 am- Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon- Oh boy! The yard! My favorite!

2 pm- Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite!

3 pm- Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm- Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm- Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm- Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm- Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm- Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm- Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

As seen in a cat's diary:

Day 183 of my captivity...

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The
only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild
satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another
house plant. Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their
feet While they were walking almost succeeded - must try this at the top of
the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I
once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair - must try this
on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt To
make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear in their
hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I
was. - Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in
solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell
the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my
powers of inducing "allergies."- Must learn what this is and how to use it
to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog
is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously
a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant and
speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to
his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.

But I can wait - it is only a matter of time.

Likes Catatonic catdog

1. Why does my cat meow after catching prey?

Cats meow after catching prey as a form of communication. They are signaling to their owners that they have caught something and may be looking for praise or attention.

2. Is my cat meowing because of pain or discomfort?

In most cases, cats meow after catching prey because they are excited and want to share their accomplishment. However, if your cat is meowing excessively or in a distressed tone, it could be a sign of pain or discomfort and you should consult a veterinarian.

3. Does meowing after catching prey serve a purpose?

Yes, meowing after catching prey can serve as a form of communication between cats and their owners. It can also be a way for cats to assert their dominance and show off their hunting skills.

4. Can I train my cat to stop meowing after catching prey?

It is possible to train your cat to not meow after catching prey, but it may be difficult as it is a natural instinct for cats. Instead, you can try redirecting their attention to a toy or treat after they catch prey to distract them from meowing.

5. Should I be concerned if my cat meows excessively after catching prey?

If your cat is otherwise healthy and is not showing any signs of distress, excessive meowing after catching prey is usually not a cause for concern. However, if you notice any changes in your cat's behavior or if the meowing becomes constant, it is best to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any underlying health issues.