Isn't that grammatically wrong?

• Thread starter samieee
  • Start date
In summary, the proper form for the verb after 3rd person singular number is 'makes' instead of 'make'. However, when using MS Word's spelling and grammar checker, it may not always show errors for phrases like "It rarely make mistake" or "he/she/Mr. X rarely make mistake". This could be due to the program's limitations or compatibility issues. It is recommended to use other software, such as OpenOffice, to ensure correct grammar and spelling.
samieee
According to the rule of english grammar after 3rd person singular number a 's' is added with the verb i.e. he usually catches fish not he usually catch fish. But when I type "It rarely make mistake" or "he/she/Mr. X rarely make mistake" and check the grammar in MS Word the checker says these sentences are also ok (attachment). Weren't those sentences supposed to be wrong?

thanks

Attachments

• mistae.JPG
    mistae.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
The proper form should be
'he/she/it rarely makes mistakes' or
'he/she/it rarely makes a mistake'

But yes, 'make' should be 'makes'.

zhermes said:
The proper form should be
'he/she/it rarely makes mistakes'.

yes 'makes mistakes' is the proper form.

But why MS Word spelling and grammar checker is showing the wrong thing?

thanks for your reply.

samieee said:
But why MS Word spelling and grammar checker is showing the wrong thing?

I don't know... because its a bad program?

zhermes said:
I don't know... because its a bad program?

:smile: may be

as you may have already understood my native language is not english that's why I was confused a bit.

samieee said:
Weren't those sentences supposed to be wrong?

I don't see any sentences. There are no "."'s in your screenshot.

For the few times I need Word-compatible software I use OpenOffice, so I can't check if that was really the reason you didn't get any errors.

AlephZero said:
I don't see any sentences. There are no "."'s in your screenshot.

For the few times I need Word-compatible software I use OpenOffice, so I can't check if that was really the reason you didn't get any errors.

YOU HAVE GOT IT!

After putting the "."s I get the error messages. Besides if you write "He rarely make mistake." then it will not show you any error messages,you have to write "He rarely make mistakes." then it will show error.

thanks to all.

Attachments

• correction.JPG
    correction.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 394

1. Is it grammatically correct to use double negatives?

No, using double negatives in a sentence is considered grammatically incorrect. It creates confusion and can alter the intended meaning of the sentence.

2. Can a sentence end with a preposition?

While it is not considered grammatically incorrect, it is generally recommended to rephrase a sentence to avoid ending with a preposition. However, in some cases, it may be more natural and acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition.

3. Should I use "whom" or "who" in a sentence?

It depends on whether the pronoun is the subject or the object of the sentence. If it is the subject, use "who." If it is the object, use "whom."

4. Is the passive voice always wrong?

No, the passive voice can be used effectively in certain situations, such as when the focus is on the action rather than the subject. However, it is generally recommended to use the active voice for clearer and more concise writing.

5. Can I start a sentence with a conjunction?

Yes, starting a sentence with a conjunction is grammatically acceptable. However, it is recommended to use it sparingly and only when it adds emphasis or clarity to the sentence.