How does doubling the net force affect the acceleration of a moving cart?

• Thread starter Stargate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, this person is explaining how the second law of dynamics works. They state that when a force is applied to a body, the acceleration that the body experiences is based on the mass of the body and the magnitude of the force. If the force that is applied to the body is doubled, the acceleration experienced by the body will be doubled.
Stargate
Can you figure this out!?

Suppose that a cart is being moved by a certain net force. If the net force is doubled, by how much does the acceleration change? Why does this happen? For what reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stargate said:
Suppose that a cart is being moved by a certain net force. If the net force is doubled, by how much does the acceleration change? Why does this happen? For what reason?

Given the second law
[tex] F=ma [/tex]
and taking into account that mass wouldn't change,what do you think it will happen to the acceleration?

Daniel.

The "rigorous" proof should follow from an analysis of the equations [itex]F_1=ma_1[/itex] and [itex]F_2=ma_2[/itex]. What is [itex]a_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_1[/itex] if you set [itex]F_2=2F_1[/itex]?

The acceleration slows, right? Why does this happen?

Stargate said:
The acceleration slows, right? Why does this happen?

Because the two forces are applied on the same body (which means the same mass) and the second force is twice as big as the first,i'd say the acceleration doubles...
Wouldn't u agree??

Daniel.

I have no idea what you are talking about quasar! Could you explain?

I do agree thanks! Any you explain quasar987 reply?

Let's say u have a body of mass "m".U apply a force on it.Call it "F".The second law of dynamics says that the acceleration imprimed by this force (call it "a") is nothing but
[tex] a=\frac{F}{m} [/tex]

Now apply the force doubled.Which means the force 2F.Call the new acceleration "a'" ("a" prime)?Again,the second law says that the acceleration is the ratio between force and mass
[tex] a'=\frac{2F}{m}=2\frac{F}{m}=2a [/tex]
,where u made use of the first formula to express the new acceleration in terms of the old one.
Therefore,the acceleration doubles.

Daniel.

I get it now! thank you for your help!

1. How do you approach figuring something out as a scientist?

As a scientist, I use the scientific method to figure something out. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions.

2. What are the steps to figuring something out as a scientist?

The steps to figuring something out as a scientist include: making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. These steps are repeated until a satisfactory answer is reached.

3. Can you figure out anything as a scientist?

As a scientist, I have a specific field of expertise and knowledge. While I may not be able to figure out everything, I have the skills and tools to approach and investigate a wide range of scientific questions.

4. How do you determine if your findings are accurate as a scientist?

As a scientist, I follow the principles of scientific rigor and peer review. This includes using reliable and valid methods, replicating experiments, and having my findings reviewed by other experts in the field.

5. Can you figure out something without using the scientific method?

While the scientific method is the most widely accepted approach to finding answers in the scientific community, there may be other ways to figure something out. However, these methods may not be as reliable or rigorous as the scientific method.