Is the Goldbach Conjecture Finally Proven? New Proof on arXiv Sparks Debate

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof found on arxiv that was published on March 18. The person asking about it is not a mathematician and the paper is not written in LaTeX. Additionally, the paper references Wikipedia and MathWorld, leading to doubts about its validity. The speaker suggests waiting for a professional journal to publish the proof before considering it to be genuine.
eddybob123
Hi, I found this proof on arxiv just yesterday, though it was published on March 18. I don't know if it is right, but can you guys check it? Is it right?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.4649

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) The person is not a mathematician, but an Electrical Engineer
2) He hasn't published any paper in pure mathematics
3) The paper is not written in LaTeX
4) He references wikipedia and mathworldThese four points together make me doubt very much that the proof is valid. Of course, maybe the proof is valid, but I'm really not going to bother with reading it until a professional journal publishes it.
The above 4 points are usually enough to separate a genuine paper from a false paper.

I guess you're right...

1. What is the Goldbach Conjecture?

The Goldbach Conjecture is a famous unsolved problem in number theory, first proposed by Christian Goldbach in 1742. It states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.

2. Why is the Goldbach Conjecture important?

The Goldbach Conjecture is important because it is a fundamental problem in number theory that has remained unsolved for centuries. Its proof would have significant implications in the field of mathematics and could potentially lead to new discoveries and insights.

3. How many attempts have been made to prove the Goldbach Conjecture?

There have been numerous attempts to prove the Goldbach Conjecture, but none have been successful so far. Mathematicians have been working on this problem for over 270 years, and it remains one of the most challenging and elusive problems in mathematics.

4. What are some notable progress or developments in attempting to prove the Goldbach Conjecture?

In 2012, two mathematicians, Harald Helfgott and Terence Tao, independently made significant progress towards proving the Goldbach Conjecture. They both proved a weaker version of the conjecture, which states that every odd integer greater than 5 can be expressed as the sum of three primes. However, the full conjecture remains unsolved.

5. Is there a prize for proving the Goldbach Conjecture?

Currently, there is no official prize for proving the Goldbach Conjecture. However, the Clay Mathematics Institute has listed it as one of the seven "Millennium Prize Problems," and a proof of the conjecture would be awarded a prize of $1 million.