How come, for any n > 2, the nth triangular number + the nth square

• Thread starter goldust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that the expression Tn + Sn = (n(3n+1))/2 is always composite (not prime) for all values of n greater than 2. The proof involves considering the cases of n being odd or even and showing that in both cases, the expression is a product of two integers and therefore composite. The conversation also addresses the need for the restriction n>2 in order for the proof to hold.
goldust
number cannot be prime? I have checked this for n from 3 to 53,509, the latter being the limit for unsigned int. I believe this is true, and I thereby claim that this is a true statement. However, I don't see any obvious explanation for it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The nth triangle number Tn is

[tex]T_n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

and the nth square number Sn is

[tex]S_n = n^2[/tex]

And so
[tex]T_n+S_n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}+n^2=\frac{n(3n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Can you now show why this expression must be composite (not prime) for all n?

Can you now show why this expression must be composite (not prime) for all n?

Well, it wouldn't be true for all n. Only for n > 2, assuming my statement is correct. :biggrin:

When n is odd and more than 2, 1 / 2 * (3n + 1) is a whole number bigger than 1, and so the result is composite. When n is even and more than 2, n * (3n + 1) is even, so (n / 2) * (3n + 1) is even. Therefore the sum is composite for all n > 2 is correct. :biggrin: Many thanks for the help.

Last edited:
goldust said:
Well, it wouldn't be true for all n. Only for n > 2, assuming my statement is correct. :biggrin:

Well, ignoring the fact that you included the criteria that n>2 in your proof below, [itex]n\leq 2[/itex] would also spit out composite numbers, right? Your proof only considers that n is even or odd which means that all integers [itex]n\leq 2[/itex] would also be involved. The only reason to restrict yourself to n>2 is such that we have a meaningful square and triangle number.

goldust said:
When n is odd and more than 2, 1 / 2 * (3n + 1) is a whole number bigger than 1, and so the result is composite.
Adding to the end of that: because we then have a product of two integers, mainly n and [itex]\frac{3n+1}{2}[/itex].

goldust said:
When n is even and more than 2, n * (3n + 1) is even, so (n / 2) * (3n + 1) is even. Therefore the sum is composite for all n > 2 is correct. :biggrin: Many thanks for the help.

This is incorrect. If [itex]n(3n+1)[/itex] is even, then [itex]\frac{n}{2}(3n+1)[/itex] isn't necessarily even, but rather an integer. But most importantly, you haven't proven that the expression is a product of two integers and hence composite.Also, while it's not absolutely necessary, when you consider n to be even, you could let n=2k for some integer k and substitute that into your expression, then show that the result is composite, and similarly for n odd, let n=2k+1.

Many thanks. :wink:

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
Well, ignoring the fact that you included the criteria that n>2 in your proof below, [itex]n\leq 2[/itex] would also spit out composite numbers, right? Your proof only considers that n is even or odd which means that all integers [itex]n\leq 2[/itex] would also be involved. The only reason to restrict yourself to n>2 is such that we have a meaningful square and triangle number.
You do get a prime number for n=1 or n=2, and the proof also uses the fact that n>2, when it says
When n is odd and more than 2, 1 / 2 * (3n + 1) is a whole number bigger than 1,
so I don't see what the problem is here.

Haha yeah I thought about it while out today and realized the criteria n>2 is necessary, which goldust even incorporated into his proof! Sorry about that goldust.

Many thanks for the help! :biggrin: The proof is a bit trickier than I initially thought. :eek: When n is even and more than 2, n / 2 is an integer more than 1, and 3n + 1 is also an integer more than 1, so n / 2 * (3n + 1) ends up being divisible by both n / 2 and 3n + 1. Cheers! :biggrin:

Last edited:

What is a triangular number?

A triangular number is a number that can be represented as a triangle with a specific number of dots on each side. For example, the number 6 is a triangular number because it can be represented as a triangle with 6 dots on each side.

What is a square number?

A square number is a number that can be represented as a square with a specific number of dots on each side. For example, the number 4 is a square number because it can be represented as a square with 4 dots on each side.

What is the nth triangular number?

The nth triangular number is the sum of all the numbers from 1 to n. It can be represented as 1+2+3+...+n. For example, the 4th triangular number is 1+2+3+4 = 10.

What is the nth square number?

The nth square number is the result of multiplying n by itself. It can be represented as n*n. For example, the 4th square number is 4*4 = 16.

How can you add a triangular number and a square number?

To add a triangular number and a square number, we can use the formula Tn + Sn = (n*(n+1))/2 + n*n. For example, if n = 4, T4 + S4 = (4*5)/2 + 4*4 = 10 + 16 = 26.