Register to reply

What can I do with Chemical engineering?

by zachucsd
Tags: chemical, engineering
Share this thread:
zachucsd
Jan8-14, 12:30 PM
P: 10
Hello,
I am concerned for my future.
I am interested in Chemical engineering as a subject, but the idea of spending my career making chemicals, being in oil/gas, or even in pharmaceuticals depresses me.

I would like to get involved with environmental engineering, or work in sanitation or wastewater.
Is this possible? How easy is it?

I think I would be happy in the public sector, but if not, I would also be happy working for a large corporation in their environmental department, just to feel that I am doing a good thing for the environment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,
Zach
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
RocketSci5KN
Jan10-14, 07:09 PM
P: 163
You can feel good about yourself by finding things that are *less* damaging to the environment, without necessarily finding things that are completely benign (though that's the best outcome)... Replacing some current extremely toxic compounds with some slightly toxic would be good trade IMHO.
Wellesley
Jan10-14, 07:33 PM
P: 276
Quote Quote by zachucsd View Post
Hello,
I am concerned for my future.
I am interested in Chemical engineering as a subject, but the idea of spending my career making chemicals, being in oil/gas, or even in pharmaceuticals depresses me.

I would like to get involved with environmental engineering, or work in sanitation or wastewater.

I think I would be happy in the public sector, but if not, I would also be happy working for a large corporation in their environmental department, just to feel that I am doing a good thing for the environment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,
Zach
Why not just do environmental engineering? ChemE's can do it, just rather smelly work. Environmental Engineering is typically an easier degree

turbo
Jan10-14, 08:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
What can I do with Chemical engineering?

Chem Es can do a ton of stuff. Lots of engineering grads can. It would be really tough to find a person with an engineering degree from a well-ranked school that can't handle the baisics.
Evo
Jan10-14, 08:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Quote Quote by zachucsd View Post

Regards,
Zach
Actually, what you describe is more "civil engineering."

What Civil Engineers Do
Civil engineers design, construct, supervise, operate, and maintain large construction projects and systems, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-...-engineers.htm

Register to reply