How to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)

• Thread starter teng125
  • Start date
In summary, a user is asking for help solving a problem involving the function f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x). Another user questions the validity of the problem and requests for the question to be stated clearly. The original poster asks for clarification and the first user gives a hint and asks if the concept of derivatives is being taught in precalculus courses.
teng125
does anybody knows how to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x) ??

i would like to know the final answer is it = exp (2/x + 1/x ln x - tan x)??

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't tell you the answer if you won't tell us the question! I don't know what you mean by "solve f(x)= ". Since you titled this "derivatives" I might guess you mean "find the derivative of f(x)" but in that case your "answer" makes no sense at all. I can only guess that you means something else entirely.

Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

ya,that's the question...myanswer it wrong.May i know how to do it??

I'll repeat:Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

I really doubt that you have a homework problem that says, word for word, "solve f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)". It makes no sense to say "solve" a function.

Now, how did you attempt to do this problem?

Do you know that d(uv)/dx = v(du/dx) + u(dv/dx)
Now here you have three functions. Can you take two functions as one and then apply the above rule again i.e. apply it two times.

Have they move teaching about derivatives, to precalculus courses? :confused:

1. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to identify the variables and constants. In this equation, x is the variable while (x^2), (ln x), and (cos x) are the constants.

2. Can this equation be solved using algebraic methods?

Yes, this equation can be solved using algebraic methods. However, it is a more complex equation and may require the use of logarithms and trigonometric identities.

3. Is there more than one solution to this equation?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to this equation. It is a transcendental equation, which means that it does not have a finite number of solutions.

4. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it results in a true statement. You can also use a graphing calculator to visually confirm your solution.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since the natural logarithm and cosine functions are not defined for negative numbers, the values of x must be greater than 0.