Solving Vector & Matrix Multiplication: Sketching in XY Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiplying matrices and then goes on to ask about sketching vectors in the xy plane. The speaker explains that a vector is represented by coordinates and drawing a vector means drawing a line from the origin to those coordinates. However, drawing a matrix is not a common concept and the speaker suggests drawing each column or row vector.
DethRose
i have a question where i had to multiply to matrices:

2 -3
-3 and 2 i came up with the answer as -12 but then the question says:

sketch the vectors together in the xy plane.

what do they mean when they say this and how do you do it

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
a vector is represented as (x0,x1,x2...,xn-1,xn)
if the vector is said to be a spatial vector than we associate them with
our terminology for spatial coordinates...which usually is xyz OR ei,ej,ek OR uvn(sometimes called cartesian or euclidean)

now to draw a vector means to draw a from O to the coordinates of that vector...
to draw a vector summation means to draw both vectors than translate one of them
vector scalar multiplication... means to resize the vector...
however if your askinghow to draw a matrix...i've never heard of such a thing...so my only guess would be to draw each columnwise vector or each rowwise vector.

I can help clarify the concept of sketching vectors in the xy plane and how it relates to matrix multiplication. In this context, the term "sketching" means visually representing the vectors in a two-dimensional plane, specifically the xy plane. This can help with understanding the relationship between the two matrices and their resulting product.

To sketch the vectors in the xy plane, you can plot the points represented by each matrix as coordinates on a graph. For example, the first matrix can be represented as the point (2,-3) and the second matrix as the point (-3,2). These points can then be connected to form a line, which represents the direction and magnitude of the vector.

In the context of matrix multiplication, sketching the vectors in the xy plane can help visualize the effect of the multiplication. The resulting product will be a new vector that is a combination of the two original vectors. By sketching the vectors, you can see how they are combined and the resulting direction and magnitude of the new vector.

In summary, sketching vectors in the xy plane is a visual representation of the two matrices and their resulting product. It can help with understanding the concept of matrix multiplication and the relationship between the two matrices. I hope this explanation helps.

1. What is the purpose of sketching vectors and matrices in the XY plane?

Sketching vectors and matrices in the XY plane helps to visualize and understand the geometric relationships between the vectors and how they are affected by multiplication.

2. What is the difference between vector and matrix multiplication?

Vector multiplication involves multiplying two or more vectors together to produce a single vector, while matrix multiplication involves multiplying two or more matrices together to produce a single matrix.

3. How do you sketch vector multiplication in the XY plane?

To sketch vector multiplication in the XY plane, plot each vector as an arrow with its tail at the origin. Then, use the rules of vector multiplication to determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector, and draw it from the origin.

4. What is the role of the XY plane in solving vector and matrix multiplication?

The XY plane serves as a visual aid in understanding the geometric relationships between vectors and how they are affected by multiplication. It also helps to determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector or matrix.

5. How can sketching in the XY plane help in solving more complex vector and matrix multiplication problems?

Sketching in the XY plane can help break down a complex vector or matrix multiplication problem into simpler parts, making it easier to visualize and solve. It also allows for a better understanding of the results and any potential errors in the calculations.