When force is applied to the abdominal area. .

In summary, the impact to the stomach in boxing can cause the diaphragm muscle to go into a spasm, making it difficult to breathe for a few seconds. This is due to a pressure difference caused by the impact. The effect is greater with impact to the solar plexus.
kryptos
. . . what happens?

From my admittedly limited knowledge of boxing -- perhaps applicable because of its nickname, the "sweet science" -- I know that impact to the stomach constricts the organs somewhat and makes it harder to breathe. But why? Is the body trying to lessen damage to the vitals by tightening? Does the impact simply force the air out upwards? Or are the lungs actually damaged somehow?

This is just out of curiosity, so no rush. Sorry if it's a stupid question. ^^;; I'm particularly interested in why the effect is greater with impact to the solar plexus, as well.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Having the wind knocked out of you!

A quick websearch yields this explanation.
Your diaphram muscle, which sits just below your lungs, goes into a spasm and prevents you from inhaling.

"According to one doctor as well as the ever-useful Straight Dope column, it's all about your diaphragm. This dome-shaped muscle sits below your lungs, and it helps your windbags inhale and exhale. When you get hit in the abdomen, this can cause a pressure difference that makes your diaphragm spasm for a few seconds. You can't catch your breath until the spasm stops. "
ref

I don't like getting punched in the stomach. It's unpleasant.

Ohh. I see.

Thanks a lot, Quabache! I didn't catch that anywhere on a normal search for some reason. :\

And yes, MK. I wholeheartedly agree. Funny story about that, actually . . . but maybe another time. :P

1. How does force affect the abdominal area?

When force is applied to the abdominal area, it can cause the muscles to contract and exert pressure on the internal organs. This can also lead to changes in blood flow and pressure in the area.

2. Is it safe to apply force to the abdominal area?

It depends on the amount of force applied and the individual's overall health. In general, it is not recommended to apply excessive force to the abdominal area as it can cause injury or discomfort. It is important to consult a doctor or trainer before engaging in any strenuous abdominal exercises.

3. Can applying force to the abdominal area improve core strength?

Yes, targeted force on the abdominal area can help strengthen the core muscles, which can lead to improved posture, stability, and overall physical performance. However, it is important to use proper technique and not overexert the muscles.

4. Are there any potential risks or complications from applying force to the abdominal area?

Applying excessive force to the abdominal area can lead to strain or injury of the muscles, ligaments, and other structures in the area. It is also important to be mindful of any pre-existing medical conditions that may be aggravated by force applied to the abdominal area.

5. What are some effective ways to apply force to the abdominal area?

Common exercises that involve applying force to the abdominal area include planks, crunches, and sit-ups. These can be performed with body weight or with the use of equipment such as resistance bands or weights. It is important to start with low to moderate force and gradually increase as strength improves.