Need Help with Cantilever Paper: Physics Calculations

• Thread starter phailingfisiks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, you are struggling with the math portion of your project on building and testing a cantilever. The requirements include creating a chart with testing data, performing calculations for stress, strain, elastic modulus, and force, and creating a stress-strain curve on a graph.
phailingfisiks
ok... i need someones help! for a project, a group of us had to build a cantilever, and write a paper. we are at the paper writing stage, and i got shafted with the hard part. which of course i don't know how to do. physics isn't my forte. here is what it says right off of the rubric:

*Description of the building and testing process including: (i already wrote out the description, its the math part i have no clue on what to do)
-testing data in a chart; force, block area, length, change in length.
- stress, strain, elastic modulus, and force calculations
- stress-strain-fracture graph

if anyone could help me out tonight (the paper is due tomorrow~ procrastination is my middle name :rolleyes: ) that would be so fantastic!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand that you are struggling with the math portion of your project on building and testing a cantilever. I am more than happy to help you out with this. Let's break down the requirements listed on the rubric and go through each one step by step.

1. Testing data in a chart: This section requires you to present your data in a chart format. The data you need to include are: force, block area, length, and change in length. To create the chart, you can use a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel. Simply input your data into the appropriate columns and rows and then create a chart using the chart-making function in the program.

2. Stress, strain, elastic modulus, and force calculations: This section requires some basic mathematical calculations. Let's go through each one individually.

- Stress: Stress is defined as the force applied per unit area. To calculate stress, you need to divide the force applied by the cross-sectional area of the block. The formula for stress is stress = force/area.

- Strain: Strain is defined as the change in length divided by the original length. To calculate strain, you need to divide the change in length by the original length. The formula for strain is strain = change in length/original length.

- Elastic modulus: The elastic modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material. To calculate the elastic modulus, you need to divide the stress by the strain. The formula for elastic modulus is elastic modulus = stress/strain.

- Force: The force applied to the cantilever can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the block by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The formula for force is force = mass x 9.8.

3. Stress-strain-fracture graph: This section requires you to plot your stress and strain values on a graph. The x-axis should represent strain and the y-axis should represent stress. Plot your data points and then draw a line connecting them to create a stress-strain curve. This curve will show the relationship between stress and strain for your cantilever.

I hope this breakdown helps you understand the math portion of your project better. Remember, procrastination may be your middle name, but it's never too late to ask for help. Good luck with your paper!

1. What is a cantilever paper?

A cantilever paper is a type of structure that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to demonstrate principles of force, stress, and deformation.

2. What are the physics calculations involved in cantilever paper?

The physics calculations involved in cantilever paper include calculating the amount of force applied to the free end, as well as the stress and strain on the structure. This also involves understanding concepts such as moment of inertia, Young's modulus, and bending moments.

3. How do you determine the material properties for a cantilever paper?

The material properties for a cantilever paper can be determined through experimentation and testing. This includes measuring the dimensions and properties of the material, such as its density, elasticity, and yield strength. These values are then used in the physics calculations to determine the behavior of the cantilever paper.

4. What are the real-world applications of studying cantilever paper?

Studying cantilever paper has many real-world applications, including understanding the behavior of bridges, cranes, and other structures that use cantilever principles. It is also useful in designing and testing new materials for use in various industries, such as construction and aerospace.

5. How can I get help with my cantilever paper physics calculations?

If you need help with your cantilever paper physics calculations, you can seek assistance from a physics tutor, professor, or online resources. It is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and equations involved in order to accurately solve and interpret the calculations. Practice and seeking help when needed can greatly improve your understanding and performance in this area.